Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ?

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #1  

Vmax540

Bronze Member
Tractor
2009 TYM T330
Curious, why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? It is nice to check tank for coolant and condition of antifreeze.

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #2  
Curious, why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? It is nice to check tank for coolant and condition of antifreeze.

Vmax540,

I'm not sure about your tractor, but my Kubota BX2350 has one. I just assumed (YES, I know what it means.) that most, if not all, had them. Maybe you can adapt one from another vehicle or tractor to use on yours.

Dave

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #3  
My Yanmar LX has one.

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #4  
My Kubota M6040 has one.

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ?
Thanks for the replies 2009 TYM T330 with a Kubota engine. I actually have some from my parted out snowmobiles so, I think I'll add one to the overflow hose ! My other tractors are a Super C and a 1962 International 3414... :)

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #6  
My 2016 GC1720 has one, but my 1986 Mitsu 180D just has the radiator vent to the ground.

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #7  
Both of my TYM tractors have them. My old fords and farmtrac did not

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #8  
The older tractors are just like the older pickups, trucks and cars the overflow from the radiator just went to ground.
When they started switching over to the coolant recovery tanks it was a bit more then just adding a tank.
Some of the radiators themselves required different necks and they all required a different radiator cap.
It not only needs to seal the bottom of the neck below the overflow port but also the top of the filler neck above the overflow and needs to allow the return of fluid when the system cools and starts to pull a vacuum on the system.

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #9  
The older tractors are just like the older pickups, trucks and cars the overflow from the radiator just went to ground.
When they started switching over to the coolant recovery tanks it was a bit more then just adding a tank.
Some of the radiators themselves required different necks and they all required a different radiator cap.
It not only needs to seal the bottom of the neck below the overflow port but also the top of the filler neck above the overflow and needs to allow the return of fluid when the system cools and starts to pull a vacuum on the system.

Not only that, but they work at a much higher pressure so you must ensure that the rad is up to a higher pressure, if not you may have to buy a whole new system.

/ Why do tractors not have a radiator overflow tank ? #10  
The truth is almost all modern tractors DO have an overflow tank. Mine sure does. :)