Why do you hate MTD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why do you hate MTD?
<font color="blue"> Do you invest your $ in a 95% safe bet or a 5% safe bet. </font>

I play with the stock market, so you tell me. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You win some and you lose some. I'll take my chances. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Why do you hate MTD?
<font color="blue">MTD didn't make any money. they got paid to let Briggs market under Troy Built name. </font>

So your saying MTD got paid for doing nothing and Briggs makes junk? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Why do you hate MTD? #183  
<font color="blue"> The best built MTD products Are not built by MTD. I love it

<font color="black"> It doesn't matter whether you like or hate any brand or "parent corporation" or who really did take the profit in this example ....that's funny!!

<font color="blue"> So!!!!!!!!!!! all of this is only about corp. profits and not making quality equipment.

<font color="black"> Yep. MTD, JD, Craftsman, pretty much any company more than 5% of the population has heard of, has been sucked into (and yes further markets to) the demands of ignorant consumers.
Greedy "smart" people getting fat on greedy dumb people (slim consulation for the minority here!); the irony really comes full circle when the company in question is "publically held."

<font color="blue"> Every little old lady-young children will be paying for the extreme gluttony of a few for a long time. <font color="red"> America needs to wake up.

<font color="black"> I couldn't agree more; now if Brian, Ben, and I [and the rest posting this thread] could just get together over beers we'd have America's problems outlined in one night; probably even have some good solutions, but I already know knowbody else would listen anyway /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and I'd have way too much of a hangover to drive back to SD from NY /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<font color="blue"> Do you invest your $ in a 95% safe bet or a 5% safe bet.

<font color="black"> Do some research regardless of prior brand reputation [good or bad] then chose the most appropriate combinaiton of "right tool", quality, service, and personal user feel.....then still realize a few lemons may come on the apple truck (95%?) and vice-versa (5%?).

BTW; I saw about a month inactive thread on Snapper ZTRs; I'm thinking about posting my purchase there, perhaps someone can tell me how well I came out (or screwed-up as the case may be) and things to give extra maintenance to; a few members on this forum already gave me some great advice prior to the purchase! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chad

/ Why do you hate MTD? #184  
<font color="blue">It is almost always the case with power equipment.

Almost is the key word. </font>

Hey Gerard,

I totally agree with you. The old Phrase,"You Get What You Pay For", is nothing but a Sales Pitch.

It should be,"You Pay For What You Get". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Same product at different stores often can make a big difference in how much one will pay for the same identical product. And that also goes for the more expensive products, versus the socalled inexpensive products. In the more expensive products, in most cases you are paying a goodly portion, just for the Manufacturers Name on the product.

BEWARE OF ANYBODY THAT TELLS YOU, "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".

Have a nice day,
Joe

/ Why do you hate MTD? #185  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sounds like a nice unit what kind of pump does it have? )</font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So your saying MTD got paid for doing nothing and Briggs makes junk? )</font>

I don't get it???

/ Why do you hate MTD? #186  
Spiffy,

I agree. I'll meet you half way for a beer. I need one after this.

well got to go my neighbor just came over to borrow my blower His broke. Ironic.

/ Why do you hate MTD? #187  
Wow, this thread has grown fast. I just thought I would throw in my two cents about MTD and my experience. I bought an MTD lawn tractor for my lake property about 4 years ago. I got it at Lowes - 17.5 HP Briggs with 42" cut, and hydro trans. It was a "service return" that I got for $815, almost $500 less than the new ones were selling for at the time. It had a couple of scratches on the deck, but otherwise looked new. I use it to mow about 2 to 3 acres or so along my driveway, the yard, and a pipeline easement that the oil co. is supposed to mow but never does. The lawn is the only thing that is nice grass. Everything else is pretty much weeds and junk. I will also mow some rougher areas on occassion, with some small brush and tall weeds. On average, I mow about every 2 or 3 weeks, 7 months out of the year.

The only thing I have ever done is change the oil once a year. The MTD has performed better than I expected. No problems whatsoever, and I have treated it pretty rough at times. We have sugar sand, so most of these areas are extremely dusty; it's nasty work. I am a mess when I'm through, and so is the MTD. But as far as lawn equipment goes, it's the best investment I've ever made. I don't see how a $3000 or $4000 mower could have performed any better.

Steve

/ Why do you hate MTD?
<font color="blue"> The only thing I have ever done is change the oil once a year. The MTD has performed better than I expected. No problems whatsoever, and I have treated it pretty rough at times. We have sugar sand, so most of these areas are extremely dusty; it's nasty work. I am a mess when I'm through, and so is the MTD. But as far as lawn equipment goes, it's the best investment I've ever made. </font> <font color="red"> I don't see how a $3000 or $4000 mower could have performed any better. </font>

<font color="red"> That's exactly my point! </font> My LT has gone through the ringer and is still full of life. I paid thousands less and still getting the same job done. The money difference between the high end LT/GT's can go towards other things that are of more enjoyment.

/ Why do you hate MTD? #190  
You might say "Chance favors the prepared mind". Of course its possible to get some good life out of a cheap [both meanings for this post] machine, partially because either when the quality control lottery smiles on a good owner[regardless of machine] or craps on a bad one now you have a story...one's a testimonial and one's horror. Even happens to "better" machines, just you do often have some parts that are stouter [in material or design] and the tigher quality control should make the extremes closer and fewer....ahhh, bell curves.....

Steve has the perfect example of an informed consumer; weighed the cost/risks, did basic up-keep, didn't expect too much, and was happy when it performed better. Now for the $3-4K mentioned, I do think theres a machine lurking that might have been the better tool for the job, but no doubt $800 [$1300] is probably doing just as well as "premium brands" of a similar machine for around $2K [includes $100 for advertising and pretty name plate, more importantly remember Steve accepted a little more risk].

I got it!! The dumber the consumer, the more they should have to pay for any tool!! Just maybe, the sticker shock would wake them up to proper maintenance and use; combine that with some better parts and quality control, we have some long lasting tools! Nope, wouldn't work /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif; the corporations would find a spin on that too [can't have everyone running 25 year machines now can we] /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, I'm not going to say that you always "get what you pay for", but just remember right tool for the job, and price should be part of the "sniff test" (if it smells like a rat....)

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.