Why is my flail mower binding all the time?

/ Why is my flail mower binding all the time?
Sorry for the delay in responding. I much appreciate all your responses, and dont intend to abuse your forum for advice. Just real life getting in the way :(

The mower is an EFM-125 from Geo Agric, macchine agricole. Link: EFM Light Mower with adjustable three-point hitch - Geo Agric agricultural implements - Italy.

I double checked the belt tension and it is tight. I replaced the belt recently as the last one disintegrated... It only seems to slip when its completely bogged down. I will try and get a photo tomorrow (9pm here atm).

All oiled/greased/etc. The drum turns smoothly and without resistance. I can rotate the PTO shaft by hand and it works as expected with no noises, etc

I havent done any levelling other than by eye. Unfortunately, i dont have a level area to do anything better at the moment.

The hammers were definitely blunt and beat-up. I had previously been trying to clear some scrub on some rocky land, so they got abused. They dont seem to be particularly good quality. My partner said I was crazy for thinking they looked the same as the new ones. I sharpened them with an angle grinder, and they now manage to get through a lot more than usual. I can (apparently) only put hammers on this device... but if i can find some blades that will fit would it be worth trying?

But im still getting issues with it getting bound-up. I am going slowly, and it will work fine, and then suddenly it gets bound up and I have to unclog it. This is happening every few minutes. Im operating on the very low end of the recommended HP for this device - its a small old japanese tractor. I havent managed to try again with the larger HP machine since sharpening the hammers.

Given some of the posts im wondering if maybe im just asking too much of it - the area im struggling with is 3-4ft tall grass and weeds - including woody fibrous ones and some kind of vine-like ones... Maybe I should be using a different kind of implement for this situation? I also have a drum mower (which im using elsewhere for hay-making), but it would dump all the grass in a windrow so its not going to break down very quickly - which was the primary reason for getting a mulcher in the first place... Honestly I feel so stupid for not even knowing what sort of tools to use for what jobs.

Last edited:
   / Why is my flail mower binding all the time? #32  
Are you running at full pto rpm or higher and low gear? If you're spinning fast and moving slow but still overloading the flail (is that what you mean by binding up?), maybe take smaller bites? (Less overlap) Try new blades if they are really shot. If none of that helps, the flail may just be too big for your tractor.

/ Why is my flail mower binding all the time? #33  
Here is what I do for the tall stuff - take a half mower width at a time (there's some pretty thick scotch broom in there). Make sure your tach is showing at least 1,800 r/m.

First pass-2.jpg

/ Why is my flail mower binding all the time? #34  
Sounds like some of the stuff I have to cut. Keep the revs up and go slow in stuff that tall and watch your radiator doesn't get clogged driving through tall stuff like that. I have to clean mine regularly. I watch my temp guage. As soon as it is above normal I stop and clean.
Even sharp blades won't cut some tall stuff as it folds over as the mower goes over it.

/ Why is my flail mower binding all the time? #35  
Vines can be an issue with anything that rotates... Once you get them started, they're going to wrap on the shaft in a hurry. If they're the issue, I'd try cutting one, and letting it dry out to see if it gets brittle. If it did, then perhaps a selective herbicide to knock them out before the mowing. Once cleared, they might not be an issue if you can keep on top of the cleared area.

/ Why is my flail mower binding all the time?
Once cleared, they might not be an issue if you can keep on top of the cleared area.
I think this is the problem - ive just let it get too tall to work with. It seems pretty good at working with anything it can smash, but as soon as its fibrous and tall, I can forget it. I think im going to borrow a rotary cutter and see how that fairs.

/ Why is my flail mower binding all the time? #37  
I think you might have answered your problems - post #31. You sharpened the hammers and it operated better. Maybe a completely new set of hammers or "Y" blades - if you can find them.