Why no Ecoboost in the F250?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #21  
Remember to that automakers only need and want the vehicle to last a few years to get out of warranty

Diesel lasting 500k in a truck isn't worth it. it's better it blows up 1 mile out of warranty.

And dont think people would quit buying them if they were junk, people went back to ford after the 6.0, 6.4 , Triton, eco boost. And so on

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #22  
At one time it seems like turbos had to get reved up to make power. This was in performance cars where high end power was the goal. They were a relatively large turbo for the size of the engine.

The eco boost uses twin turbos that spool up quicker because they are smaller but having two of them means they still make good boost. Some diesels had twin sequential turbos, one blowing in to another, the eco boost is not setup that way.

I also agree the economy edge is probably lost in a bigger heavier truck.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #23  
You can rest assure that if Ford could see an advantage to putting an Eco boost motor in 250's and 350's they would be putting them in them, all of the big 3 would like to have the best gas powered 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to win over the market.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #24  
An I6 motor is stronger than a V8 motor for the main reason every piston rod is supported with bearing on both sides. An I6 motor will produce better torque than a V8 and the I6 is self balancing. It’s not by accident that virtually every industrial motor is inline.
We've talked about this before. A straight six and a V8. The V8 will produce more HP and Torque than the straight 6 of equal/near equal displacement. However, the straight 6 will produce it's torque at a lower RPM, giving the 'feel' that it's more powerful, even though it's not.

I think the discussion was based on the ford 300 straight 6 vs the ford 302 v8, and similarly, the Chevy 292 vs small block chevy's.

I can't speak for the diesels, as I've never looked at the torque curves, HP, etc.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #25  
We've talked about this before. A straight six and a V8. The V8 will produce more HP and Torque than the straight 6 of equal/near equal displacement. However, the straight 6 will produce it's torque at a lower RPM, giving the 'feel' that it's more powerful, even though it's not.

I think the discussion was based on the ford 300 straight 6 vs the ford 302 v8, and similarly, the Chevy 292 vs small block chevy's.

I can't speak for the diesels, as I've never looked at the torque curves, HP, etc.
That is also mentioned in this article:

Inline 6 vs V-8 Diesels

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #27  
In general I think you are right, but you should check out the Ecoboost torque curve - it's tuned for low and mid range torque and high revs aren't required any more than non-boosted engines.
10,000 miles of towing my 3 horse slant load bumper pull and another 8000 with an equipment trailer with hay or whatever on it, I've only hit 3000 rpms maybe a few times when I wanted to show off, otherwise easily you won't notice the engine struggle with 8-9000 lbs behind it uphill on into the wind.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #28  
I still remember when Ford offered the 250 and 350 with the inline 6, 1996 was the last year. 300ci, 4.9L and around 150 hp. The weak link of those “engines“ were really with the crummy ignition modules even before they added the additional electrical components to fail with electronic carbs and then EFI.

The power they can get from engines keeps going up and displacement keeps going down. Life expectancy has changed as much as the power they get these days though.

Better materials, design and manufacturing are not the culprit though, it’s all of the electronics and miles of wiring, they keep piling on despite it almost always being the problem.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #29  
Just made a short round trip haul with the '21 Ram, all mountain grades including Salt River Canyon. Pretty sure the Eco Boost would do the trick, but they don't hold back like a big block gasser or exhaust brake equipped diesel. Loaded I was about 17k, so small load but still....Round trip was 11.6 MPG

0901221400.jpg

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #30  
Exactly, Which is why i dont understand companies building trucks for towing and not using the industry "standard" architecture.

There is a long list of reasons to go i6 vs V shape. You can almost rebuild an i6 in a truck vs modern V8 diesels require the cabs lifted to do the most mundane of tasks.
In my opinion and experience (dyno testing engines daily for an auto supplier) the main reason would really just come down to packaging in the engine bay.

A chevy small block v8 can get to 8+ liters displacement in a 400 lb, compact package. Try to get an inline 6 engine to 7 or 8 liters of displacement.... it will be nearly twice as long (deep) as the v8. Ford has come around with designing and introducing the 7.3L pushrod Godzilla motor.
Chrysler/RAM has stuck with the cummins B engine for several reasons, mostly because it just kicks a$$ (too bad it has to come with a chassis and interior designed and assembled by Stellantis).

Don't get me wrong, the Duramax and Scorpion are huge engines also. So frickin tall... can't stand how tall the hoods have to be on new 2500/3500s because of this. I have often wondered about how compact, lightweight and efficient a GMC 2500HD could be if the entire truck was just optimized around the small block motor ONLY. No stupid duramax to add so much space, cooling capacity, suspension and controls for, etc etc. No offense to anyone who loves their duramax; but when a gas small block can tow 20+ thousand pounds already with excellent reliability and decent fuel economy, forget the hulking diesel already.