Why no Ecoboost in the F250?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #341  
haha! Yeah our german colleagues handle the EU business, I don't have access to those programs. Thats a ring problem, not a piston one though. And a problem specifically designed and dictated to us by VAG ;)
The 2.0 TDI biturbo had ring problems. Its predecessor, the 2.5 TDI, had problems with liner coating: My neighbour worked a lot on them and has seen the surface come off the liner when dropping the oil pan. That was the end of the road for an engine.

"Fuel saving" 0w/30 oils also contributed to a lot of camshaft wear, not just on the Transporter 4: My Volvo used a liter of oil per 5000km when i bought it, switching over to the 5w/40 oil as prescribed to the pre 2006 Euro 3 engines, reduced it to 1 liter per 20.000km, though it is still more than my previous S70 with the VW 2.5 TDI (from the Transporter 3) with 565.000km under its belt...
After purchase i learnt that the cam wear was prominent in MY 06, and that better cam hardening solved that from MY 07 onwards... to my luck.

So please dont feel offended when i dont take your word for it, that some coating will solve cylinder wear, just like that... IMHO they are just band-aids invented to solve problems resulting from the choice of ever thinner engine oils... 😉

And now we all have problems keeping our manufacturing plants fully staffed and operating. Raw material pricing is brutal now too. Tough times.
Yeah, several aluminium casting companies in Holland are closing their doors due to the natural gas prices. Steel doubled last year, availability of regular construction steel is not a problem (yet) though getting Cat OEM components is...

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #342  
The eco boost wouldn’t even last the first day without significantly upgrading the cooling system. I doubt the transmission holds up long in a dump truck either. Those low power diesels were built to chug along at nearly full power output all day everyday and do it for 30 years. There’s a big difference in continuous duty output and the power you can make for 30 seconds to pass another vehicle.

Correct, so when a keyboard F-150 ecoboost owner starts talkin smack on older diesels, they need to understand the numbers on paper are quite meaningless, the bigger the truck gets.

So let’s stop the “ecoboost beats a older _____ diesel.

It just doesn’t, unless you want to make a comparison for a matter of a few runs or a week or 2 of heavy work.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #343  
The shorter the life span and harder the engine is to maintain, the better for ford. People are dumb enough to go back for more and they have proven it time and time again

Triton
6.0 diesel
6.4 diesel
6.7 diesel (everyone I know personally with one has had an issue )
EcoBoost

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #344  
The shorter the life span and harder the engine is to maintain, the better for ford. People are dumb enough to go back for more and they have proven it time and time again

Triton
6.0 diesel
6.4 diesel
6.7 diesel (everyone I know personally with one has had an issue )
EcoBoost

Yeah, I mean I was a Ford guy and got bit badly by the 6.4L diesel.
Seems like the 6.7 and the ecoboost are improvements, but to forget about previous engines like it doesn’t matter is ridiculous

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #345  
I'll say this again, the 3.5 Ecoboost I have in my 2014 F 150 regularly hauls around a horse trailer weighing up to 7000 lbs when loaded up. On long steep hills I rarely ever hit 3000 rpms and its never dropped below 4th gear to keep 55-65 mph going up any hill. On the interstate at 70 mph I am running just under 2000 rpms in 5th gear on a 6 speed transmission. I am going to get 10-12 mpg pulling this trailer depending on the headwinds. The engine is never screaming, it runs rather quiet and the transmission temp runs about 203 degrees max whether it has a trailer and load behind it or not.

Towing my tractor and equipment around on a flatbed equipment trailer or hay I'm between 6000-9000 lbs and same story, it is never screaming unless I really want it to and it is never underpowered.

Will you diesel guys go start your own thread on diesel trucks that the rest of us either A don't want, B can't afford, C don't want to hear about or D just don't want to listen to the engine?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #346  
Lol, birdhunter.

These specs below are for the 2022 F150. Just absurd capabilities for joe homeowner, honestly. More than adequate for vast majority of folks. We don't all tow 75,000 lbs of hay bales every day. :)

1664290163154.png

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #347  
I'll say this again, the 3.5 Ecoboost I have in my 2014 F 150 regularly hauls around a horse trailer weighing up to 7000 lbs when loaded up. On long steep hills I rarely ever hit 3000 rpms and its never dropped below 4th gear to keep 55-65 mph going up any hill. On the interstate at 70 mph I am running just under 2000 rpms in 5th gear on a 6 speed transmission.
The thread topic specifically mentioned F 250, which has a 21k tow rating: Your experience on how an Ecoboost handles 7k is irrelevant to the topic...

I mean, 7k... i haul that with a plain old V70 2.4 liter diesel, without dropping a gear... 257 ft-lb at 1750rpm, which is 100kmh in 6th..

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #348  
As was said, 'What about the 7.3?"
If ford thought the echo boast was the answer to today's towing, why come out with the 7.3 gas?
Old school engine, said to put out as much power as some diesels. No over head cams, no turbos. I have read better mileage than the 6.2. Said to be one of the best engines Ford is making.
I drove an F250 for years, loved it. The 6.2 was great. My son drives ford with 3.5. At just over 200,000 miles, $5,000 for new timing chains. And he never tows.
An F250 needs to tow and we all want our trucks to run a lot of miles. I hope my next trucks is the last one I have to buy, 20 more years and 450,000 miles.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #349  
It has a 21,000 lbs tow rating with the right engine but probably wouldn't have that with a 3.5 Ecoboost in it as it doesn't have that kid of tow rating with the 6.2 gas either. The payload rating of an F250 I could utilize, I will sanely run out of suspension in my F 150 long before the engine runs out of capability.

Below is the specs for model year 2014 on the 3.5 Ecoboost, 420 lbs-ft torque at 2500 rpms is near perfect for what I need a truck for and I think it would be great in an F 250 rated for 8-9000 lbs of payload.
  • 3.5L EcoBoost V6.
  • Twin-turbocharged and Direct Injected Design.
  • 365 horsepower @ 5500rpm.
  • 420lb-ft of torque @ 2500rpm

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #350  
This conversation has been going on forever and sure it will continue . Kevin . .