Why no Ecoboost in the F250?

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #351  
The payload rating of an F250 I could utilize, I will sanely run out of suspension in my F 150 long before the engine runs out of capability.
Now THAT is exactly the reason why Ford wont let you have it in an F250...

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #352  
I must have missed the post where someone said a Ecoboost can last in a 33,000 lb dump truck. I thought it was about a 3/4 ton pickup.

All I can go off of is my experience as far as reliability of the Ecoboost. I have a fleet of vehicles that see a lot of miles. The first Ecoboost we put in service was a 2013 3.5. We just sold that truck to an employee for his daily driver. It had 372,000 on it when it sold. No major engine work at all.

My last truck was a 2018 with 3.5 Ecoboost and had 230,000 when I decided to get rid of it. On that one the timing chain needed to be replaced but I elected to get a new truck rather than fix it because I felt at that moment I had the lowest cost per mile that the truck would see.

We now have 18 Ecoboosts in our fleet. 3 are the 3.5 and the rest are the 2.7. Several of the 2.7 have over 100,000 now with no issues. Time will tell I guess but I will continue down the Ecoboost road until I see a problem with them.
And I must have missed where the comparisons were made to a 5.9L Cummins, which ARE by the way found in not only single axle dumps, but tandem axle dumps, too. So let’s not conveniently forget, if you are going to compare and ecoboost to a 5.9 Cummins, let’s first remember a 5.9 Cummins was used in very heavy trucks and a litany of Case-IH & JCB farm tractors. The 3.5 Ecoboost hasn’t found its’ way into anything bigger than an F-150 and there’s a reason for that.

Here’s my JCB 3185 with a 5.9L Cummins in it rated at a whopping 185HP. I’d bet my life an ecoboost wouldn’t last a month in this tractor.

1664315078540.jpeg

It won’t last very long in a 3/4 ton pickup either, as I said, IF that 3/4 ton pickup is used to tow at todays ratings.

While the ecoboost makes nice power, it’s specifically suited for light duty use.

So when guys start making comparisons of ecoboost to Cummins diesel engines based on power output alone, that fails to convince the heavier truck usage owner/operator its a viable option.

Last edited:
   / Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #353  
This conversation has been going on forever and sure it will continue . Kevin . .
Exactly & IDK how all these guys got on a 3.5L in a dump truck OR it being compared to a diesel …. WTH 🤬

I never read where somebody wanted / needed or expected one in anything bigger than a F250.

All The TALK & BS got WAY Off Topic :ROFLMAO:

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #354  
And I must have missed where the comparisons were made to a 5.9L Cummins, which ARE by the way found in not only single axle dumps, but tandem axle dumps, too. So let’s not conveniently forget, if you are going to compare and ecoboost to a 5.9 Cummins, let’s first remember a 5.9 Cummins was used in very heavy trucks and a litany of Case-IH & JCB farm tractors. The 3.5 Ecoboost hasn’t found its’ way into anything bigger than an F-150 and there’s a reason for that.

Here’s my JCB 3185 with a 5.9L Cummins in it rated at a whopping 185HP. I’d bet my life an ecoboost wouldn’t last a month in this tractor.

View attachment 764235

It won’t last very long in a 3/4 ton pickup either, as I said, IF that 3/4 ton pickup is used to tow at todays ratings.

While the ecoboost makes nice power, it’s specifically suited for light duty use.

So when guys start making comparisons of ecoboost to Cummins diesel engines based on power output alone, that fails to convince the heavier truck usage owner/operator its a viable option.
I never made such a comparison. It is not the same thing.
Just like the 150 has different tow ratings depending on engine, transmission and gear so does the 250.
0898C54F-B94A-4CB1-A53A-B6B9627B2590.png

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #355  
I never made such a comparison. It is not the same thing.
Just like the 150 has different tow ratings depending on engine, transmission and gear so does the 250.
View attachment 764243

Didn’t say you did, but others did. You aren’t the only contributor on the thread.
The fact remains that “why no ecoboost in the F-250” is because Ford has made a proper calculation that it won’t last long enough to probably meet warranty standards or customer satisfaction in an F-250.

The comparisons of the ecoboost to the 5.9L Cummins, even with more HP is absurd, since the duty cycle under loads the 5.9L handles, at any HP level is far greater than what an ecoboost will ever see.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #356  
Here you go

small engine dimensions.

Not what you normally see for the Heavy Duty segment

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250?
Thank you everyone for contributing to my post. My question has been answered ten fold.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #358  

View attachment 764235

Off topic, Lol. Hay Dude, FYI, use a bolt and nut for your hitch pin. That way you get support from both ears of the hitch.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #359  
Off topic, Lol. Hay Dude, FYI, use a bolt and nut for your hitch pin. That way you get support from both ears of the hitch.
Too slow to remove. I like the pin better for my spreader.

/ Why no Ecoboost in the F250? #360  
America never had decent drawbars for tractors. The UK and Scandinavia had the pickup hitch, France had the knob, and the rest of Europe had drawbars ranging from 2.5 to 4 ton permitted vertical load.

If you really want top notch for the travel speeds associated with a Fastrac, get a K80 ball coupler...