Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup?

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Ford and Dodge both make a 450, 4500, 550 series pickup. Chevy used to make a 3500 HD that was significantly heavier duty. Now 3500 and the 3500hd is pretty much the same thing. They make a 4500 that’s a joke to the medium duty truck world. I don’t know about the rest of the country but here the ford and dodge heavy tons way outnumber the regular 1 tons.

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup? #2  
I believe GM teamed with International to bring those models back. I think they are coming out as 2020's ???

I'm seeing more Ram 4500 and 5500 trucks now, but Ford has had that market now for a long time here.

I agree with you on the use of these trucks. A 350 and 3500 can't legally haul the weight that the bodies will hold. My F450 will legally carry 6000 lbs or 3CY of loam or 2 CY of gravel. Even that doesn't really fill it, but its a lot better that my old 87 K3500. I was at GVWR (10,000lbs) with one excavator bucket (3/4CY) of gravel in the body.

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup?
I haven’t seen any heavy tons in the Chevy feature lineup. Just the 4500 joke of a heavy truck. If I was in the new heavy market I’d buy a Chevy heavy ton. Currently I’d buy a dodge. I hate ford and the last 20 year diesel disaster doesn’t bring me any comfort although I think the new ones are better. The 90s 3500hd was a pretty good ride of the time but no 4x4 and no Duramax and if you want a transmission that doesn’t suck no automatic. I don’t know why they dropped that truck. Around here 3500 duallys are mall crawlers and 5x a year RV pullers and the heavy tons make up 90 percent of the work truck fleet.

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup? #4  
The new ones are a bit better looking than the old 4500 and 5500, but still tall.

1520437561569.jpg

My F450 is a 2003 and the last of the 7.3L trucks. With a 6 speed stick. I couldn't pass it up. Though I've put a lot of money and time into her, she is a great truck and actually fun to drive.

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup? #5  
That's what I read also crashz. They are dropping their sheet metal on an international chassis & drive train. CV Series | Class 4/5 Truck | International Trucks
I just went to IH on the web and it looks like they are as you said partnered up, using GM's sheet metal but an IH grill.
Do you know if they are using the IH 6.6 or sticking with the D max?

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup? #7  
NEW 2020 Chevy HD, speced "properly" will be rated to pull OVER 35,000 pounds.

SR

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup?
They’re not a heavy ton pickup though. More comparable with an international 4700 or Ford F-650. In either case I’ll probably end up getting a CDL and buying a day cab semi. They’re pretty cheap compared to pickup trucks.

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup? #9  
Ford is bringing back the F600 moniker. It will have the same cab as the F450, etc. as opposed to the F650-F750 style.

/ Why no heavy duty Chevy pickup? #10  
They’re not a heavy ton pickup though. More comparable with an international 4700 or Ford F-650. In either case I’ll probably end up getting a CDL and buying a day cab semi. They’re pretty cheap compared to pickup trucks.

Just make sure you get something with a locking rear else they get stuck on snot! Even with the locking rear, you need to plan ahead.