Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice?

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #81  
As far as expecting a pressure spike when running over a rock,,,,,,,,,,,

my 584 IH has fluid filled rear tires.
To check the pressure, I do not use a gauge,, I use a tape measure.
Just 2 to 4 psi can make the wheel (steel part) lower by an inch. (I do not remember the exact correlation of pressure to height)
Anyways, when you hit a bump, the pressure will not spike, the other parts of the tire will simply stretch.

IMHO,, after having a dozen fluid filled tire equipped tractors, and several not filled,,
I feel the fluid filled tires ride much smoother. The fluid acts like a shock absorber, slowing the time that a bump changes the ride.

We each have our own beliefs,, that is mine,
I have helped MANY people fill front tires of their garden tractor, so that the machine will steer more precisely.
The steering is a benefit beyond the nicer ride.
In each case, the owner complained that the tractor would plow straight ahead when mowing on a grade,
the machine would not turn in the direction the tires would turn.

The driver would have to slow WAY down,, but, with fluid filled front tires, the machine would respond to the tires being turned.

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #82  
CADplans,

A unique method for checking tires. It does eliminate the time involved with moving the valve stem to 12 oclock position which makes sense. I have not measured tire height before but wonder about several related factors:
What is the correlation between psi and tire height and is it linear for the span of +/- 3 to 5 psi around the desired OEM setting?
What is the effect or not on measurement of having the tractor on anything other than level ground?
What kind of tires are you running since R1's and possibly R4's would be pain to get repeatable measurements on or sufficiently close to stay with 1-2 psi of OEM target. R3s would be easiest to measure and most repeatable.

We will disagree the fluid acts as a shock absorber since fluids in general are in-compressible and the very reason fluid is used in the tractor's hydraulic system. ( there are very special cases where fluids can experience compression but we will never experience those on a tractor ). I suspect you fill the tire carcass with the valve stem at 12 oclock and stop when fluid runs out. This leaves an air cushion which is what compresses and provides that smooth ride.

Filling the front tires increases the contact with the ground due to increasing the front end weight and thereby improves steering.

Enjoy the 4th.

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #83  
Haven't read all of this thread. Who came up with using beet juice? It just seems so odd that I am curious how it came to be used for fluid ballast?

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #84  
2manyrocks,
Desugared beet juice pulp is a waste product that got repurposed because it's specific gravity is significantly higher than water, it is cheap for distributor to buy since it is a waste product that would normally get dumped back onto field, it is non corrosive to metal wheel rims, it is non poisonous to animals and land if it leaks, and its freezing point at greater than -35'F is well below water's 32'F freeze point.
I'm guessing RimGuard built a business on selling a waste product for profit.
Rimguard weighs 10.7 Lbs/ gal.
BioBallast weighs 9.7 Lbs/ gal ( Their MSDS / SDS says proprietary organic components but I suspect product is corn gluten based )
Water weighs 8.3 Lbs/ gal

The American dream. Selling a waste product for profit.

See attached

Attachments

• 2018- RimGuardBeetJuiceTireFillChart.pdf
    119 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
   / Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #85  
I loaded my tires with antifreeze and water solution.

I used 3gallons of antifreeze to 23 gallons of water in each tire.

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #86  
CADplans,

A unique method for checking tires. It does eliminate the time involved with moving the valve stem to 12 oclock position which makes sense. I have not measured tire height before but wonder about several related factors:
What is the correlation between psi and tire height and is it linear for the span of +/- 3 to 5 psi around the desired OEM setting?
What is the effect or not on measurement of having the tractor on anything other than level ground?
What kind of tires are you running since R1's and possibly R4's would be pain to get repeatable measurements on or sufficiently close to stay with 1-2 psi of OEM target. R3s would be easiest to measure and most repeatable.

We will disagree the fluid acts as a shock absorber since fluids in general are in-compressible and the very reason fluid is used in the tractor's hydraulic system. ( there are very special cases where fluids can experience compression but we will never experience those on a tractor ). I suspect you fill the tire carcass with the valve stem at 12 oclock and stop when fluid runs out. This leaves an air cushion which is what compresses and provides that smooth ride.

Filling the front tires increases the contact with the ground due to increasing the front end weight and thereby improves steering.

Enjoy the 4th.
I air up R1, R4, and ATV tires all the same way,, the method results in similar tire "diameter" or circumference.
With R1 tires, proper inflation results in the correct number of tire bars in contact with the ground.
I have zero concern for what the psi is in the tires,, only contact patch, and diameter.
ATV tires must be identical circumference for a solid axle ATV to track straight.

Yes, I do only check the tires in my level concrete shed.
The dimension of inflation is written on the steel siding next to the air compressor.
Zero guessing, zero inflation gauge damage.

My 1984 Honda ATV manual specified the rear tires were to be aired by measuring the circumference with a tape measure,,
a pressure gauge could not measure the big balloon tires in a way to give similar rolling circumference. (it was about 2 psi)
Tractor tires like having similar diameter tires,, it tends to keep the tractor level.

Lots of people complain that their loader is "sprung" because only one side of the bucket touches,,
it is often just improperly aired tires.

As far as compression of liquids,, the reason I mentioned the way I air my tires was to show how tractor tires easily expand if a bump is encountered.
The tire is nothing like the tractor hydraulics,, the fluid in a hydraulic system is contained in steel and steel reenforced braided hose.

The tires on my tractor react like a fluid filled balloon.
Water, or air filled balloon,, compress one spot, another part of the balloon expands.
So, water or air filled tires react the same,,
the difference is that water filled tires react slowly,, giving a shock absorber type ride enhancement.

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #87  
I had Rim Guard installed, after I bought new rears. I called Rim Guard for local installer contact info. I asked for several, and called for pricing. There is no standard pricing. Kubota dealer was $4/gal (plus "labor"), industrial tire dealer was $2.50/gal, installed. Call around.

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #88  
$3-4 a gallon installed is typical for "beet juice" and there's a calculator for figuring how much is needed by tire size. I would steer clear of calcium chloride as it's known to be caustic and rust rims from inside out which is why it's rarely used anymore. As has been mentioned before sugar water can become caustic as well. "Beet juice" is not sugar water, it's the leftover syrupy liquid after the sugar has been removed. Plain water can work as long as you never see freezing temps, south Florida maybe, but can cause corrosion as well. I wouldn't use antifreeze as the environmental concerns wouldn't sit well with me. Windshield washer fluid can be a cheap option with slightly less environmental concerns and sure wouldn't want to spring a leak in the garden or crop field.

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #89  
2manyrocks,
Desugared beet juice pulp is a waste product that got repurposed because it's specific gravity is significantly higher than water, it is cheap for distributor to buy since it is a waste product that would normally get dumped back onto field, it is non corrosive to metal wheel rims, it is non poisonous to animals and land if it leaks, and its freezing point at greater than -35'F is well below water's 32'F freeze point.
I'm guessing RimGuard built a business on selling a waste product for profit.
Rimguard weighs 10.7 Lbs/ gal.
BioBallast weighs 9.7 Lbs/ gal ( Their MSDS / SDS says proprietary organic components but I suspect product is corn gluten based )
Water weighs 8.3 Lbs/ gal

The American dream. Selling a waste product for profit.

See attached

Beet juice is also used for dust control or gravel roads in some areas. But then 30 years ago we use to dump drained engine oil on gravel roads!

/ Why not sugar water in tires instead of beet juice? #90  
I wouldn't consider running my tractor without LOADED back tires. 1st tractor 20+ yrs. with sodium chloride never a problem . Bought a new tractor nothing in tires used it for for 1 wk. to dangerous. Found where I could get the tires loaded with beat juice and had them filled . Safer on hill sides , helps with a full loader bucket but ballast as well is better. Does not effect the ride unless you over air them. My acreage is mt. side steep skid trails and I often travel on slopes putting an average of 600 hrs. a yr. on the tractor logging and brush hogging.
A few years ago I bought a 1990 b8200 kubota with out loaded rear tires. Idk how someone used this thing for 30+yrs with out loaded rear tires. It was almost un useable.

I have owned a 1957 Ford with calcium in the rear tires for about 9yrs with out a single issue.