Dealer Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel??

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #31  
I agree Bird. We bought our MF 1523/snowblower as a package with 62 hours on it. Did not bother us that it was a rental unit, a local golf course used it to blow the driveway to their office, so not abused, since it was 9 months old when we bought it. Came at a nice price, with full warranty, and the 50 hour service was performed by the dealer, at no cost to us. :)

Sounds like you got a great deal. But now lets ask the question; How would you feel if you had agreed to purchase a "New" MF1523, paid a "New Tractor" price and the dealer delivered the unit you have?

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #32  
Sounds like you got a great deal. But now lets ask the question; How would you feel if you had agreed to purchase a "New" MF1523, paid a "New Tractor" price and the dealer delivered the unit you have?

The tractor would not have not received by us, and if he did not work with us to get a new one, he would have had to slash the price or throw in some implements to make up the difference, or get us a new one.

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #33  
I spent a lot of time looking at tractors both times that I purchased. Some dealers let me play in the dirt, and some didn't. Most let me run it around the yard, raise, and lower the loader, etc. I will say that one reason I ended up with a Kubota instead of the JD I was also looking at was that the dealer just didn't seem to want to get a 2000 series on his lot with a loader. I had read here about slow hydraulics on some of their models, and didn't want to buy one without at least being able to raise, and lower the bucket a couple of times. I see that now they do have a representative model so equiped on their lot. I've been in there for other things, and did tell them in a nice way that not being able to try one did influence my purchase decision.

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #34  
I bought my 'new' Kioti DK with about 8 hours on it. I don't even remember. I figured it was covered by a four year warranty and if it was damaged by those initial test drive hours then I would deal with it as issues arose. My dealer said he would take care of me, and I took him at his word until I find out otherwise. I noticed the hydraulic line wrapped in a metal coil on the backhoe was caught between the dipper and the hydraulic piston and brought that to the attention of the service guy when he came out to deal with some minor issue with the bh. I had him adjust it properly and later discovered the line was cracked due to the original improper install. I asked them to remove a line from another on lot bh and then order the part for the one that was on the lot so I could pickup the line and install it without having to wait for it to come in on special order. No problem.
Tractors are not sports cars- they are utility vehicles; so I can see someone not wanting scratches on his brand new and pricey car, but on a tractor that is being sold with a backhoe and fel, etc. get real! I'm not saying it should be accepted as banged up all over but some bucket scratches!?
I went back and bought a Toughline boxblade and asked the dealer to paint it since the paint had so much fade from being on the lot. He agreed to do so for $50 and said he would do it in black instead of the orange from the factory and I said ok. He also knocked some $ off the price even though it was a new blade.
If I was a dealer I would have some concern and so might my insurance carrier for letting everyone who came on my lot 'test' drive whatever they expressed interest in.
I can see each side of the coin and would say it depends on the dealer, the potential customer, etc, and the insurance issues in today's world. There is no right or easy answer to these situations, but people need to find a situation that meets their individual needs and desires.
Good luck all.:)

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #35  
When I was shopping for my SCUT a couple of months ago. The local MF, JD and Kubota dealer let me try them out use the front end loader and dig with the backhoe. The local bota dealer even offered to drive one to my house to try out.

I eventually bought a BX25 from another Kubota dealer 200 miles away. My stipulation was no scrathes on the hood, fenders or any other parts except the FEL and backhoe buckets (I waxed my tractor at the 50 hour and will wax it at every service interval, except for the buckets). I preferred 4-8 hours on it. I wanted it some what tested out. I didn't want to get a unit with 0 hours on it and have the tranny blow for some odd reason.

They delivered a unit with 4 hours and clean buckets. You get a few scrathes on the buckets when testing out a tractor for new purchase.

When it real seat time it's 'scraping paint off'.

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #36  
As most have said - tough call. IMHO, a test drive is one thing - "test use" is another. Go to a Ford dealer and tell 'em you want to "test drive" a new 1 Ton by hauling a load of gravel to your house and towing a 10T payload behind it - not sure you'll get a favorable response. It's not only a risk to the vehicle/equipment, but think of the liability issues. Not sure I would consider them a bad dealer for balking if they are good in every other aspect.

I would love to try out any equipment before I buy it - but definitely want it untouched when I buy it - "want my cake and eat it too". If I'm worried, I rent first. I mean, you don't get to try out power tools before you buy and I consider a tractor a big expensive power tool.

I wonder about some of the minor issues I've had with some new vehicle purchase over the years - either an issue with the build, or result of some rough test drives - who knows - but can possibly cloud the issue sometimes with warranty claims.

-Eric

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #37  
When I bought my L4400, I drove it around the lot and worked the controls etc. I wouldn't even consider asking to "play" because I already had reasonable expectations through research of what it could do, and the rest I asked the service manager about.
There were a few minor scratches, mostly through normal shipping and prep work. However, none were real glaring except for two I spotted on the right side hood vent down low. So I took the simple route and asked the service manager for some touch up paint. He gave me a can of paint, but offered to fix it himself. I told him it wasn't worth his time and I could do it myself.
I like nice looking equipment and I take care of all I own, but I'm also realistic. Tractors are working machines and will get scratched sooner or later. I try my best not to beat up my equipment because it's the right thing to do. Happy 4th to all! Mike.

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #38  
<snip> result of some rough test drives - who knows <snip>

-Eric
We went to test drive a new car, I drove for a while, parked, put on the parking brake. Got out of the car and let my wife drive. We got about 5 miles down the road, stopped, smelled burning brakes, cloud of smoke rolls by. She had not fully released the brake. Salesperson sitting in the car said nothing.

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #39  
We went to test drive a new car, I drove for a while, parked, put on the parking brake. Got out of the car and let my wife drive. We got about 5 miles down the road, stopped, smelled burning brakes, cloud of smoke rolls by. She had not fully released the brake. Salesperson sitting in the car said nothing.

Those are the times that make you feel bad, but the salesman did the right thing!

/ Why won't the dealer let us "test" drive the fel?? #40  
My Massey dealer did let us "test drive" the loader.

I was originally interested in a 1540, but they did not have any in stock. They had a 1533 and a 1547. There was a large gravel pile on the lot and the dealer let us play(work) with any machine on the gravel. It was very clear to me that once I used both machines, I needed the larger 1547.

Our Kubota dealer would only let me turn on the tractor. There were units in front, back, and on both sides of the tractor. He was not willing to move them so I could drive the L3400 around the paved parking lot. That would not have been much of a test drive anyway.

As for hours, mine had 5 hours on it, but I am sure that I put on close to 2 hours at the dealer myself digging holes in the gravel pit...this also showed me that I wanted loaded tires prior to the tractor coming home.

Ivan