Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact?

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #21  
Some stumps aren't a big deal, but there comes a size when you might wish you'd left them in the ground. I dug one out that was so big I could hardly move it with my 35hp tractor. Seemed like it took forever to rot enough to dispose of it.

How big are the stumps you'd like to remove and how many are there?

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #22  
Have you considered a stump grinder? Not sure about one sized for your machine but it might be worth looking at. As long as you dont need to plow the ground it will work great.

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #23  
Since my Kioti is a little bigger and heavier (5500 lbs), I wondered if a grapple specifically designed for a sub-compact might not go the distance.
4500 with loader and backhoe?
Its not the weight of the whole machine that comes into question. It’s the ability of the loader itself. You can put a ssqa 84” skidsteer grapple on your kioti. How productive would it be for your needs? I have been looking at the Stinger compact grapple and they have a couple of nice features. As far as durable….

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #24  
Nice vid!!

I have a small 6.5ft backhoe on a small tractor (kubota b8200) with a ripper tooth and have used an even smaller one on an even smaller tractor.. I agree that basically any stump is possible with basically any backhoe, it just takes longer and at some point you might as well do something different. Im sure at some point working an extra shift or hours at work to pay for a rental ends up taking less long than using a tiny backhoe on a huge stump!

But, machines dont break themselves, operators break machines. Any backhoe can do it given enough patience. What might not be possible is lifting a giant stump out of the hole with a tiny backhoe! 😂

Anyway, going back to the original topic, or closer anyway, if you DONT have a backhoe what you might want is a ripper.. for a 3pt! A 5500lb tractor has a stupid-strong 3pt lift. If you get a big subsoiler/middlebuster type ripper and get it under roots and pull up, you could eventually tear out some pretty big stumps with no backhoe. Some of them might even go faster that way. You’re limited on depth but will have same or better ‘ripping’ power as you would with a smaller weaker backhoe like mine.

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #25  
thats a good idea, I hadn't thought about a 3pt ripper. Actually get the grapple anyways it is too useful but with the 3pt ripper you get the stump loose then you pick it up and haul it away with the grapple.

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #26  
I have CTL and a grapple but I would not even to attempt to dig a stump out with it. You will certainly tear something up if you try. I have a stump bucket for the CTL and it will dig out stumps but it still is rough going. I also have a 25hp compact tractor and wouldn't try to dig out stumps with it. A grapple on your tractor is a great tool and will save a lot of work for you. but it will not dig out stumps.

There are some 3pt attachments that will help digging out roots. They look similar to a sub-soiler with a long shank but, with a sharpened edge. You have a lot of money invested in your tractor, trying to use the wrong tool for the job will only cost you money.

Best of luck! RB

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #27  
I have a VERY HD Land Pride grapple on my Kubota M6040. I DO NOT use it to rip out stumps. It's very simple. The grapple is not designed to rip out stumps. The FEL on my M6040 is not designed to take this type of loading.

It's best that you learn the limitations of your implements. OR have bottomless pockets.
IMG_0011.jpeg