Widening tires

/ Widening tires #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
Before I am to take possession of a MX5400 I talked to the salesman and he said he would recommend widening the front tires as widening the rears would put them outside the front bucket footprint.

I am going with R1 tires and the rears will be filled. I wasn't aware you could widen the front tires.

/ Widening tires #2  
I've seen a good part of Texas but I can't imagine why you'd need a wider stance?

Fronts can be widened by flipping them over I believe.

/ Widening tires #3  
Before I am to take possession of a MX5400 I talked to the salesman and he said he would recommend widening the front tires as widening the rears would put them outside the front bucket footprint.

I am going with R1 tires and the rears will be filled. I wasn't aware you could widen the front tires.
Moving the wheel/tire combinations side to side will adjust tread width to either of two positions.

SDT

/ Widening tires #4  

Yes (at least with Massey) as that's what I've had and would imagine Kubota is the same. Simply move the front tires from one side to the other. The inside of the wheel is offset on one side and inset on the other. Hope this makes sense.

/ Widening tires #5  
A 2-WD MX has multiple front wheel/tire width increments available.

A 4-WD MX may have two front wheel/tire width increments, maybe only one.

/ Widening tires #6  
My 4WD M6040 has ag rims. This results in eight varying widths. Four with the rim cupped out - four with the rim cupped inward. I have my front tires set in a "neutral" position. IE - same amount inside the hub as outside the hub. My rear tires are set in one of the most outward position. Both front and rear tires are wider than the bucket and now wider than the grapple. This has never been a problem to my operation of the tractor. I do not use the bucket for extensive snow clearing. Actually - I never use my tractor where width of the tires - front or rear - are ever a concern - - as far a clearance.

If your MX5400 has ag rims - this option may also be available to you. Watch out for setting the front tires at the most narrow position. It could cause interference with tire/frame clearances on sharp turns.

/ Widening tires #7  
So exactly why are you wanting your tractor wider ?

/ Widening tires
So exactly why are you wanting your tractor wider ?
More stability. I don't see any downside to widening the front tires a little.