Wildfires - smoke

/ Wildfires - smoke #1  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Once again, its that time of the year. Seems a bit early this year. Its been fairly tolerable until the last two days. Now if I go outside for longer than fifteen minutes, or so, I DO cough when coming back into the house.

Usually with the cooling around 8:30pm, the wind would change direction and it would be clear for the night. With sunrise - winds would shift again and here comes the smoke, ash and crud.

The last two day it has become much thicker and does not clear any time - day or night.

Has anybody in my general area been able to find any info on the fires? I've looked and - no joy.

I'm in NE WA state - about 25 miles due SW of Spokane, WA.

/ Wildfires - smoke #2  
It is bad in Curtis in SW Washington as well. Nice for a couple days then it returned off the ocean.

/ Wildfires - smoke #3  
Really rolled in yesterday afternoon. First the mountains disappeared, then the foot hills, can't see anything past town any more.

I've heard source is BC + eastern WA but haven't dug into it yet. Feel bad for all our animals, we can at least go inside.

Have a feeling it's going to be getting worse as the years go by.

/ Wildfires - smoke #4  
Smoke moved in here yesterday afternoon. Thicker this morning and the forecast is that it will be worse as the week progresses.
Keeping the house closed up and letting the electronic air filter do its thing. Sun is just a reddish ball this morning.

/ Wildfires - smoke #5  
Usually, here on Whidbey Island, we have the winds that come in the Strait of Juan DeFuca and keep us pretty clear - but not this time. Dead calm - stagnant air. Almost blocked out the moon last night.
Caused 1 hour delays down at SEATAC yesterday afternoon.

/ Wildfires - smoke
I haven't been able to make contact with my IP(HughesNet) the last hour - too smoky. Dam - gets much worse and I'll have to run a rope from the front door to the outhouse.

/ Wildfires - smoke #7  
Northern Ohio here, and our weather yesterday was full sun without a cloud in the sky. But the sun was not nearly as bright as normal and it was several degrees cooler than forecasted. This morning's local weather explained we are experiencing the smoke from the western fires now. High level haze that is filtering the sun.

/ Wildfires - smoke #8  
The smoke from those fires has made it all the way to the Northeastern states. It has been bad enough here that the skies appear to have cloud cover on a perfectly clear day.

/ Wildfires - smoke #9  
I was in Salt Lake City last week and watched some fires burning from miles away. Lots of smoke and haze. Quite a sight for this old Maine boy.

/ Wildfires - smoke #10  
Nevada has been smoked in for a full month now. We may have one day a week that the wind shifts and the smoke lessens but it is always there. Most of the time it's like we are in a thick fog - the mountains across the valley from me, only 4 miles away, are completely obscured. I recently took a long drive eastward and was amazed to see thick smoke from my home in the middle of Nevada all the way into Wyoming on I-80. Return on I-70, and I started seeing smoke by the time I got to the Colorado-Utah border. It was thick all the way across Utah and Nevada.
The meteorologists in Reno are saying most of the smoke we are getting is coming from the California wildfires; the wind is pushing it north into Oregon and Washington and then it makes a turn and brings it down into Nevada and Utah.