Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor?

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #21  
AS far as whether or not you will notice the difference of 10 HP depends on how you use the tractor.

Lots of PTO usage is usually where people notice a difference. BUT....you have to use ALL of the 45 horses first before you will find yourself wishing for more. So this comes down to implement sizing. You pull a 5' tiller over a garden plot, it wont work a 45hp tractor hard at all....so adding power would probably be unnoticed. Now if you want to try and run a 7' or 8' tiller.....you will most likely notice.

Same for a rotary cutter. Pull a 5' and you likely wont notice. But go to a 7' or 8' mower and in heavy vegetation....probably will notice.

Want to run a 3PH log splitter designed for a ~25HP tractor.....no difference. Post hole digger, no difference. 15' batwing finish mower....you will notice the difference.

The second thing people notice a difference on is speed. Since BOTH tractors are the same with some different tuning (to gain 10HP)...the traction and how hard they push or pull will be the same. So grading your drive, or doing loader work moving and digging dirt....likely wont notice a difference. But pulling something at speed....may notice. Like you may find the 45HP just isnt enough power to pull a 3-bottom plow with the HST in meduim range and you have to keep it in low. Whereas the 55hp may be just enough to step the speed up. Same with any other tillage equipment like a disc or harrow.

Road gear is the last thing people usually notice a difference. Towing a trailer (I tow my dump trailer with firewood). Going down the road in high range...more power means it wont bog down as bad on hills.

More power is not a bad thing to have. And if this is the size machine you want....get the most HP you can afford and you wont have any regrets. And as someone already pointed out....it will be worth the added expense if you ever part with the tractor in the future

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #22  
If it's not too costly, go for more power. Just because more power.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #23  
Horsepower is like Breast size said every Man.....

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #24  
In my experience if you go the cheaper route it will remind you every day of that decision. Buy the absolute best your budget can afford and the very first time it does the job you need done you will forget what it cost.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #25  
I'm not familiar with the Kioti models, but of course feel compelled to offer free advice :)

1. For a power-hungry task like snowblowing, 10HP could be the difference between snow blowing and snow regurgitation on wet heavy snow.
2. If those models differ by size, the extra weight could mean the difference between tractor pulling X and X pulling tractor.
3. If those models differ by size, the extra width could mean additional stability on hilly/unstable terrain.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #26  
Aside from the difference of 10 hp rating at the PTO, it's 25% less (OR 33% MORE). A person who had used the NX5510 would absolutely notice the difference when using the NX4510. However, if no-one has eaten caviar, or sipped scotch, or chocolate cover strawberries, they don't miss them.
Remember the advise - buy all the tractor you can afford. As the owner, you don't necessarily get the use of the greater capacity, but you'll recover your money with the price you'll get when it's time to sell. And at some time, that tractor will be sold, either by you, or your heirs
Extra Hp gives extra PTO power, extra lifting power on loader and extra 3 point weight pickup. Gears verses HST gives more power. Resale value will be better on larger HP tractor.
Owner of Workmaster 50 (53 hp). Gave me extra weight to handle 8 foot box-scrape which works as an excellent counter weight for loader.

Attachments

• 026CE323-E933-486E-82FC-EC886ED160A5.jpeg
    026CE323-E933-486E-82FC-EC886ED160A5.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 65
   / Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #27  
I have a NX4510 gear and Yes I would like to of had the 5510 now as I have driven bigger tractors for people and yes you notice the power difference at the PTO I run the 12 ft Rhino TS12 and it runs it just fine unless I am going up a hill then I just drop a gear but the extra 10 would be a huge plus. I agree with the Buy all you can afford you won't regret it. The only exception is frame size does matter in getting into tight places.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #28  
Pick the biggest tractor then go a step higher...Sage advise given to me. I followed it and never regretted it. 10 hp definitely makes a big difference in all kinds of things besides PTO. The tractor will be heavier, so when picking up stuff with your bucket it will sure payoff. Moving round bales is a perfect example. I often move 30 foot trees with mine and a 10hp less tractor could not without putting additional weight on the back. My neighbor bought the same manufacturer tractor as I have only 10 hp less. He REALLY regrets his decision. I can do a lot more with my tractor than he can with his. Hope this helps.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #29  
For many of us, the choice is simply "get another 5-10HP" or "get another implement". Which would I get the most use out of?
For my use, would the additional HP likely be needed? For me, I went with the size/weight, then what PTO HP I needed for mowing.
The Geared DK4501 has 45HP/42 PTO HP. I was able to move up to an 84" cutter which more than meets my requirements.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #30  
Not sure about the NX series, but with the DK10 series the (45,50,55 HP) tractors within a model are identical, even the engines. It is all in the ECU tuning.
Workmaster 50 / 60 / 70 is the same way. All three weigh the same with same motor. Fuel is increased to create larger HP (53 / 60 / 70 hp) PTO equipment will show the difference.