Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor?

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #91  
Depends on a couple of things. You would notice the difference if you work your tractor hard. The number don't sound like much, but think of it in percentage terms. Ten horsepower could be a 25% increase in some cases. If you use dirt implements.....bottom plows, middle busters, harrows and such....... the horsepower could mean a lot, but you also have to factor in weight. Tractors are engineered to match weight, gearing, and horsepower. Extra power without extra traction could be pointless to some users. The extra weight could mean the difference in pulling vs bogging down the attachment and spinning your wheels.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #92  
SNIP......I strongly advise you to go sit on one first and test drive it. A tractor can seem perfect on paper but terrible in real life. I experienced this with Deere's 2038R. There are tons of people who rave about them on this site but I wouldn't have one. Everything about them is uncomfortable and too cramped for me personally.....SNIP

Hmmm. That's interesting. I experienced the same thing when I was looking for our last tractor. Wanted 45 to 60 hp, and the JD compacts and utility size tractors fit me a little too well. It made me feel like a hand in a glove - which some people really like & is probably why they make them that way.

But I personally like a more open platform and room to stand up on the platform, look around, check the SSQA, & maybe even move around a bit. In the model sizes I was looking at, Massey and Kubota had noticibly larger operator's platform even if I did have to stretch for some controls.

I wouldn't have known any of this without sitting in them and driving them.
BTW, I'm average to largish size: 6' and 190 lbs.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #93  
Thank you!

Thanks, I think thats what we are going to go with.
I hear ya, a front mount blower is off the table as I dont want to be removing and attaching the loader everytime I have pallets coming in or out. And thats a good point about inflation, with how things have been going that may very well be the case!

Yep you are right, Im a car guy not a tractor guy, this is all fairly new to me. But I try to learn what I can, I have been watching videos, talking to dealers, reading tons of posts, etc...Im trying lol

For the loaded tires, All the dealers we went to recommended it and were throwing it in with purchase also. To me, I like the ballast of it because I will be moving around some heavy pallets. Im not sure if loading the tires will be enough, but it will only help.
Also wont the extra weight help me push snow better? And just help traction in general?
Most dealers around here seem to by default order the industrial tires, R4 IIRC. We have been told they are a good all around tire. They also said AG tires have a tendency to rip stuff up. No idea on turf tires.
We are only looking at HST. Grew up with manual cars so the idea of a manual transmission does not scare me off, but the HST seems much more convenient especially for snow and loader work. Pretty sure the NX's do have cruise control also.
Sorry Im not sure what you are asking with the hitch, the NX4510 comes with Cat I, the NX5510 is Cat I/II.

If I am wrong on any of this, please let me know!

I think you have all those things right. Just wanted to check. Yes, they throw in loading the tires because it is very low cost to them. JUST BE SURE NOT TO USE CALCIUM SOLUTION OR ANYTHING THAT EATS METAL AND POISONS SOIL. You will get leaks, and it will be a hassle. Worse if it is also soil poison.

I've heard that sugar beet solution is good, but that it still rusts the wheels. I don't run fill in my tires so check on what is done locally. Yes, I agree with the industrial tread.

HST is like a religion these days, so I won't comment there. Besides, I own one.
You probably ought to at least try a shuttle shift just to say you have. There is nothing wrong with power shift/shuttle shift. They are more efficient.

Do definitely lean toward getting HST with as many ranges as possible. Having more ranges will make more difference in your life than that 10 HP. And I believe everyone would agree. Our Kubota's HST+ has 6 ranges. Very Nice.

There is no downside to Cat I/II. It is heavier duty and more options. Pay more and get the telescoping arms.
And get SSQA on the loader...
Sounds like you are getting an education.
rScotty

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #94  
There are two different ways to get 10 more HP in a tractor. One is to get what is essentially the exact same tractor and engine but with the engine tuned to make more power (higher fueling rate, more turbo boost, etc.) The other is to get a larger tractor with the more powerful engine. The "same tractor with a more powerful engine" will only be of benefit if the lower HP tractor was power limited doing something, which typically for compact tractors means running some PTO implement. The amount of traction, loader lift, hydraulic flow, and 3 point lift will not be one iota different as the tractor frame, hydraulic pump, loader, and 3 point hitch are the exact same. Now if the 10 HP tractor is larger as well, you do get more of those things in addition to more PTO horsepower.

Essentially you need to look at what you will do. If it's a lot of PTO implement work such as running a mower, snowbower, etc. you would want to get a more powerful engine in the same frame size. If you are pushing, pulling, or lifting things you will want to get a larger tractor to do those tasks better than just add horsepower as it won't do much if anything.

As far as tires goes, if you really do want to lift a ton on your loader, you will need loaded rear tires and also a lot of 3 point ballast as well. Mine have methanol/water in them and it doesn't have the mess of beet juice or the corrosiveness of calcium chloride. It doesn't freeze like plain water. It's very inexpensive. The only downside is that it only weighs about 7 1/2 pounds per gallon versus 12-13 for calcium chloride or beet juice. Typically you want ag tires (R1s) on your tractor unless you work on pavement a lot or go out on a finished lawn a lot. If you work on pavement then get industrials (R4s) and if you mostly go on turf get turf tires (R3s.) Industrials do relatively poorly in soil and loose surfaces compared to R1s and turfs in the field are very poor. Supposedly turf tires do well in snow but chains do better than any of them.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #95  
Yep you are right, Im a car guy not a tractor guy, this is all fairly new to me. But I try to learn what I can, I have been watching videos, talking to dealers, reading tons of posts, etc...Im trying lol
We have all been there and it will take a while, trust me. I have a very technical background in computers, IT, Business operations and music and this was one of the hardest things if not the hardest thing I have ever undertaken. There have been many threads started about it. I personally believe that there is nothing harder to shop for then a tractor. I think buying a piece of heavy equipment like a CAT bulldozer would be easier then this.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #96  
Extra power without extra traction could be pointless to some users.
This is where buying a tractor becomes a moving target depending on who you're talking to. The application or range of applications will determine all this but explaining stuff like this is what helps everyone to understand it. There is nothing more complicated for a consumer then buying a tractor.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #97  
It all depends on what you are doing, i purchased a 35hp Massey in February, over the past 8 months I found the pto hp to be lacking for my particular applications, so I sold it and picked up my 75hp 4707 today.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #98  
Supposedly turf tires do well in snow but chains do better than any of them.
I'm glad you said "supposedly", because they suck in the snow!

SR

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #99  

SR

Define your snow as light and on asphalt, maybe not.

Define it as a foot deep on hilly turf, indeed they suck horribly. Go get your tractor that has AGs.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #100  

SR

I've never run ags and turfs on similar machines to directly compare. The machine with turfs in the snow had chains, which worked well. Never ran it without the chains. In general turfs stink for anything except not tearing up a lawn.