Will a BX Plow Snow

/ Will a BX Plow Snow #1  

kcender

Platinum Member
Tractor
GR2120 B2650 Cab
I am wanting to hear from BX owners on their experiences plowing snow,especially with the FEL bucket.My situation is that I have a BX2360 that I now only use for mowing and an L3240 with FEL and BH.I am thinking of selling the 3240 because I bought it to do work on my property and now the work is done.The only reason I have to keep it is to plow snow which I may do, but it is a lot of money sitting there just to plow my driveway.I have had a BX25 with a front blade and I found it to make quite a mess of my gravel driveway.I also used a walk behind snowblower for a few years and found that too made quite a mess.With the FEL bucket on the 3240 I am able to clear the snow and hardly make any mess which is why I prefer using the FEL bucket even though it is slower.I have about 300 feet of driveway so the little extra time of using the FEL is not a concern.Plowing with the 3240 is almost effortless because of the weight which is just under four tonnes with the loaded tires and me sitting on it.I know the BX will be lighter and slower but I am wondering if it is capable of plowing or will I just be frustrated with it?In order to gear it up I will need a loader valve,FEL,tire chains,and extra lighting which I figure will cost me around 4500 dollars.This is money that has to come from the sale of the 3240 if I sell it.I can use my aerator for rear ballast which I can adjust from about 270 pounds up to about 700 pounds so that is not a concern.This is the my main consideration of whether to sell my 3240,will the BX 2360 be capable of plowing snow with the FEL bucket.I have read conflicting opinions on this so I am curious to hear from actual BX owners on their experiences,I know there are lots of them on here.

/ Will a BX Plow Snow #2  
photos 043.jpgphotos 043.jpg
Yep, It'll plow. You can see the snow is above the blade and deeper than the rear tires. Since this picture I've put chains on the rears and almost nothing stops it. If the blade is perpendicular to the travel, it doesn't stop. When the blade is angled the snow can push the front of the tractor off to the opposite side so I've figured out how to plow the really deep snow without having an angle on the blade. 2 winters ago we had 18" each night for 3 nights and I ran out of places to put the snow, but the BX 23 kept pushing it. I bought the front snow blower last year and of course that meant no snow.

Last edited:
   / Will a BX Plow Snow #3  
I purchased a BX2360 last year. In order to justify the purchase, my tractor had to be an all season machine, but unfortunately, I couldn't afford a snow blower attachment, so I went with a rear blade instead for about 400bucks. Last winter I only had to plow a few times (weird winter, we got hardly any snow here), but here's what I found: the FEL is ok for clean up work especially if you back blade with it, but personally I can't picture plowing an entire driveway with it, it's pretty inefficient for snow removal. It sounds like you have experience plowing with the FEL on your larger tractor and it worked for you, but I found a rear blade to be much quicker and more efficient at pushing snow. If your question is will the BX have the traction and power to push snow, Gerford's post confirms that it will, but I'd highly recommend getting a rear blade to supplement the FEL if you can't afford a snowblower attachment. If you do, I'm certain you'll find it's the FEL that ends up supplementing the rear blade, not the other way around. I have a gravel driveway much shorter than yours, my technique was to leave the rear blade facing forward like this: Front of Tractor Rear of Tractor ) where the parentheses indicates the curvature of the blade, and plow by driving in reverse. This did a much better job of pushing the snow than the FEL, and limited the amount of stone the blade scraped from the driveway. In addition, the rear blade will provide extra ballast in the snow for traction. Good luck, next step is a cab and a heater to keep you warm and toasty!

/ Will a BX Plow Snow #4  
photos 044.jpg
Heres my heated cab. Ski helmet, goggles, ski jacket and pants and I'm toasty warm. All I need are some electric goggle wipers.

/ Will a BX Plow Snow #6  
Your BX will push a LOT of snow with the FEL. I have a BX2230, so a tad smaller than yours. I got mine last fall and it was a fairly wimpy winter, but I had no problem pushing the bucket through a 3 foot pile of snow. What annoyed me the most about the FEL is that it spills off to both sides. So you end up making 3 passes instead of one. It gets the job done just fine, I just don't find it efficient. I am looking for a rear blade this winter, but might have to balance that off with 2 kids in college. If I do that, I will probably still push the snow with the fel, but then tilt the blade to one side and try to get the spilll all over to one side. I've got loaded rears, turfs all around. I have a 3ph weight bar of about 275 lbs. The blade might be comparable weight, so I don't think traction will be an issue. I'm a little concerned about the bucket edge scraping into my pavement and a blade with a hard rubber edge would alleviate those fears.

/ Will a BX Plow Snow #7  
DSCF3345.jpg
Yup -- I think the BX will plow just fine on blacktop with no chains. I even plow my path in woods with the same setup with turf tires/no chains/loaded tires.

/ Will a BX Plow Snow #8  
BX is very light on the front end particularly when the loader is down and taking weight off the wheels. Its quite hard to steer when plowing. Lots of power for pushing however.

/ Will a BX Plow Snow #10  
How the heck do you come up with 4 ton (8000 lbs) for a 3240? My 3130 (same basic machine, more or less) clocks in at about 5500-6000 by my math. Rimguard in the rears, FEL and something on the 3 pt. If you have a cab, I'll spot you another 400-500 lbs, but we're still way short of 8000 lbs... Just curious.