Will a septic tank support a BX2200?

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #1  

Tom_Trees

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
The best route from my back yard to my side yard is right over my 1000 gallon septic tank, buried just 10 inches below the surface. I know they're not designed or built as heavy-duty structures, but I'm wondering if the lid will support the 2200 with loaded tires and the MMM.

I figure it's better to ask than to call for the crane . . ./w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Tom

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #2  
It better, as my 1200 gal. tank down about 18" holds my B2710. I have never worried about it, but I seem to always go over it at an angle, so I think I am always on a corner.

18-30445-von.gif

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #3  
No way I'd tell you that it will support it; don't want to be blamed if you fall in./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif But I drive my B2710 across a couple here all the time./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #4  
Of course, we're assuming a concrete tank, as opposed to plastic, right?

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #5  
I drive my JD 4100 across our 1200 gal tank all of the time. It is somewhere between 10 to 16" below ground level. Would I park my tractor on it. No Way.

Am I pushing my luck??

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #6  
I have a concrete tank, I won't drive over it. I have no intention of finding out what it will hold and what it won't.

Ernie

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #7  
We have two septic tanks. One is concrete, the top of which is nearly four feet underground. I drove my L2500 over it many times without realizing it was there. When we had it cleaned out this summer (took some finding), there was certainly no damage. It's some 35 years old and built like a bunker and like I said, it was buried deep. To avoid backhoe charges next time, however, we had plastic risers installed. I now have it marked with T-posts so I don't accidently drive over it any more. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

The other tank is only three years old. It is plastic and was not backfilled properly, nor was it kept filled with water during the backfill operation (which is necessary to prevent collapse). As the earth settled around it (less than two feet deep), the tank was partially crushed. Still functional, but the idea of driving my tractor over it is out of the question. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Lesson learned here -- if your general contractor says he'll save you a few bucks and install your septic tank himself... JUST SAY NO!!! /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #8  
I just drove my L3710 with loader and filled tires over my concrete tank with no problem. It's about 18 in. down. A BX should be no problem.

Maury Jacobs

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200?
Bird, I wasn't looking for guarantees - just anecdotal evidence like you've all given me. Looks like I'll be OK if I hit it by accident (although I could just be the lucky guy with the defective cap).

And yes, we are talking concrete here -- I'd have never asked the question for fiberglass or plastic! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks, gang!

Tom

/ Will a septic tank support a BX2200? #10  
I don't recommend it, but the electrician's helper drove the plumber's JD 4200 with Backhoe over mine by accident and there was no apparent damage. The JD of course would weight a lot more than a BX.

Alan L., TX