Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark?

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #41  
Pretty thick too. Not a good plan. Probably should kept concentrating on a way to turn the valve stem.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #42  
A few years back. I got rid of two ten pound propane tanks - using the .308 method. I have 80 acres - so setting them at 100 yards or so - no problem. I was disappointed - both were easily perforated - NO big bang.

I assume the valves are - more or less - bonded to the tanks and can't be screwed off.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #43  
I don't know where you are but in Canada all the valves on propane cylinders are replaceable

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #44  
They aren’t and never ass-ume.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #45  
I have some old propane tanks I would like to get rid of but they have to be opened. I am thinking of cutting the valve off with my Sawzall, but really don't care to blow myself up.
Another option is to perforated them with my .308, but that may not go as planned either.

Thank you
The 308 method will work just dandy. Set up a BUNCH of target faces alongside with Bidenbucks Jo, cackling Kamalama-Harris-border-czar-mama, insider tradePelosi,
Reap the whirlwind Schumer, wed your brother Omar, crazy ass Talib, greasy peasy Newsom and many more of your favorites to make a real outing of it and hone your gun control!
Remember! It's all about having fun and not getting hurt :)

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #46  
Just a few thoughts. Good subject. Aside from taking a tank out back and having a little fun the metal can be used for all kinds of things so if you like to tinker don't get rid of them.

Everyone mentioned using water and turning them upside down and all that but does that really empty them?

The first thing, get the internal pressure down. The idea of using an spare/old regulator with an open hose is a great way to get around the safetly check valve. Just do it is a safe place preferably outside on a breezy day. Once the pressure has equalized unscrew the tank's valve using your favorite method.

The concept of adding water is to float the remaning LP out the top. Propane is about 1.5x the weight of air at sea level and more in some places but, still not as heavy as water. Here are some quick numbers.

Gallon of water = ~8.25 lb
Gallon of LP gas = ~0.0153 lb
Gallon of air = 0.0108 lb

Water wins the weigh in by far but still, can it push 100% of the gas out? You would think so but the linguring oder of ethyle mercaptan always leaves you wondering.

Rather than trying to lift it out with water let the weight of the LP itself do the work for you. Once the value is off insert a piece of tubing until it touches the bottom and support it with something then, turn it all over and let it rest for a bit. Gravity will draw the LP out the port and the tube will syphon air into the tank from the outside to eliminate any vaccum behind the LP. You could just let it blubber like an upside bottle of water but the transfer will not be as smooth and could take a longer.

It seems either method will work but when leaving it upside down gravity will make sure of it.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #47  
I have some old propane tanks I would like to get rid of but they have to be opened. I am thinking of cutting the valve off with my Sawzall, but really don't care to blow myself up.
Another option is to perforated them with my .308, but that may not go as planned either.

Thank you
I knocked off the valve with a sledge then filled with water and drain. You will not have an explosion after that. You can then cut and weld on it all you want.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #48  

Thank you
you might want to turn that propane tank into a diesel storage tank instead of ruining it by putting holes in it. may not be able to hold propane pressures but should be fine to hold a non-pressure liquid?

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #49  
I tried to scrap some old ones and got turned away. Then I realized the exchange places will take old tanks regardless of condition and the exchange price isn’t much different from the basic refill price so that’s what I did.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #50  
I've displaced the propane with gasoline exhaust fumes. Old timer used the method for welding on oil tanks and such. On 20 lb tanks, I remove valve and let sit upside down for a couple good hot months and have cut in half with a Sawzall. Just do what you feel comfortable with!