Will my M8540 pull this??

/ Will my M8540 pull this?? #11  
I can run with the loader and be at about 12,500lb or take the loader off and run at about 11,500lbs.

As you can see, I doubled up on my front weights, I run 6 wheel weights per side and I have all 4 tires filled. This is what I had to do to be able to get the maximum capabilities out of the tractor.

Our property was burned in a wild fire and there were just to many potential tire disasters waiting to happen if I had gone with Ag tires. So because of less traction with the R4s, I had to add a substantial amount of weight to have maximum traction and not just have the tires spin.

I can just pull our 12' set on flat ground, typically use the D6 because most of our land is rolling hills. The 7'6" set is like there is nothing back there on the flats, but on 2nd pass going up hill at about 9" deep it's all the tractor wants.

Our disks are the old John Deere Kielfer pull disks. No transport wheels, you lessen the angle if you need easier pulling. We always run at maximum angle.

Not to get the OP’s post off subject, but I have to say you have that tractor working!!! Very impressive

/ Will my M8540 pull this?? #12  
I have a M9540 and I pull an old Bush Hog 7’ offset disc. It weighs around 3800lbs and has 18 24” disc. I pull it in heavy clay and it is all the tractor wants sometimes. I think the 3 pt hitch would be easier to pull and you will be able to adjust the draft as mentioned earlier.

/ Will my M8540 pull this??
I appreciate the insights. Decided that I'd be making a mistake so have added weight to the JUNK set of disks I have now. Will finish destroying them and then come up with a better plan.

/ Will my M8540 pull this?? #14  
OMG that's a heavy disc! What the heck is it made out of?? I've never seen one so small and so heavy. What's something like that cost?

/ Will my M8540 pull this?? #15  
I can run with the loader and be at about 12,500lb or take the loader off and run at about 11,500lbs.

As you can see, I doubled up on my front weights, I run 6 wheel weights per side and I have all 4 tires filled. This is what I had to do to be able to get the maximum capabilities out of the tractor.

Our property was burned in a wild fire and there were just to many potential tire disasters waiting to happen if I had gone with Ag tires. So because of less traction with the R4s, I had to add a substantial amount of weight to have maximum traction and not just have the tires spin.

I can just pull our 12' set on flat ground, typically use the D6 because most of our land is rolling hills. The 7'6" set is like there is nothing back there on the flats, but on 2nd pass going up hill at about 9" deep it's all the tractor wants.

Our disks are the old John Deere Kielfer pull disks. No transport wheels, you lessen the angle if you need easier pulling. We always run at maximum angle.
Hi Brian. Do you have any problem overheating under sustained high power use?

/ Will my M8540 pull this?? #16  
Hi Brian. Do you have any problem overheating under sustained high power use?

Yes, can and does run hot, typically in summer though. I have done my best to not disk other than when it is cooler and then it seems to be ok although on the high side when going up hills which is 50% of the time. But in my opinion the cooling system is to small for the capabilities of the machine. I don't mow with it, but if I did I'm pretty sure that I would be improving the cooling system.

My understanding is that the MPower machines are no better either. :( I'm curious if the new 8000 series are any better. Looks to be the newest model of what we have, if they would simply put a 16x16 trans in them it sure would make a difference IMO. I might even consider getting a new machine. A 100HP sure would be nice, :licking: but it needs more gears to go with it. ;)

/ Will my M8540 pull this?? #17  
OMG that's a heavy disc! What the heck is it made out of?? I've never seen one so small and so heavy. What's something like that cost?

If your referring to my post I might have exaggerated at little. My disc weighs 2400-3200 according to the width. A 6’ 16 disc weighs 2380 lbs and a 9’ 24 disc weighs 3230lbs. Mine is a 7’ with 18 24” disc. My guess is that the disc weights around 2500 and I have approximately another 400lbs of weight added. So around 2900lbs.

I tried to attach a photo of the manual but I can’t get it to cooperate.

If your referring to my post I might have exaggerated at little. My disc weighs 2400-3200 according to the width. A 6 16 disc weighs 2380 lbs and a 9 24 disc weighs 3230lbs. Mine is a 7 with 18 24 disc. My guess is that the disc weights around 2500 and I have approximately another 400lbs of weight added. So around 2900lbs.

I tried to attach a photo of the manual but I can稚 get it to cooperate.

Have you got a picture of the disks? The weight you mention is about what the forestry disks are supposed to weigh.

My plan of adding weight to the old disks and the finishing destroying them took a step in the wrong direction today as I bent ANOTHER shaft on it while working a controlled burn we set today.

/ Will my M8540 pull this?? #19  
Have you got a picture of the disks? The weight you mention is about what the forestry disks are supposed to weigh.

My plan of adding weight to the old disks and the finishing destroying them took a step in the wrong direction today as I bent ANOTHER shaft on it while working a controlled burn we set today.

I don’t have one on my phone anymore but I found one like in for sale on Tractor House.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/17872619/bush-hog-145

Here is a picture from the manual that gives the weight of the disc. There are several variations. I circled the one I have in red.

IMG_2647.jpg

Thank you.