Winch installed on the Isuzu NPR

/ Winch installed on the Isuzu NPR #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
A previous thread contains info about the truck

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/trailers-transportation/190454-got-tractor-hauler-finally.html

Since that thread started, I added an 8000-lb Warn winch to the stakebed.

The winch is on its mount inside a 4-ft aluminum tool box modified for the
several penetrations for the cable fairhead and the U-bolts.
This photo shows the installation of the winch, the winch power controller, the controller for the wireless remote and a 2x6 board to carry a pair of battery trays.

DSCF0061 (Small).JPG

The cable (3/8" dia x 100 ft) runs over a roller at the back end of the stakebed--fabricated from galvanized pipe fittings

DSCF0063 (Small).JPG

The winch is attached to its mount with four 3/8 inch dia grade 5 bolts (supplied by Warn). The mount is attached to the NPR frame rails via four 24" long 5/8" dia U-bolts.

This view is on the driver's side. The rear U-bolt straddles the frame rail--an easy installation. There's an interference with the transmission mounts so the front U-bolt had to be rotated 90 degrees and placed along side the frame rail and attached with a pair of angle brackets (3/8" and 1/2" dia grade 8 bolts hold the brackets to the rail).

DSCF0068 (Small).JPG

Passenger side view. The battery and its support tray made this installation a real chore.

DSCF0069 (Small).JPG

Next job--decide whether to install a dovetail (the stakebed height is 40"). Got a bid for a 5-ft long aluminum dovetail ($1300). Could take this route and use 5-ft removable aluminum ramps. Still evaluating options.

/ Winch installed on the Isuzu NPR #2  
Careful about the dovetail, a local fellow did one a bit too long and got nailed for some type of tailswing limit.

/ Winch installed on the Isuzu NPR #3  
Nice job Flusher. I like how you mounted the winch inside the tool box. I am curious though just how much the roller will handle when put to the test. I would think if there is too much "break-over" at the end of the bed then it might be too much for it.:eek:

/ Winch installed on the Isuzu NPR
Careful about the dovetail, a local fellow did one a bit too long and got nailed for some type of tailswing limit.

Yep, that could be a problem here in CA. I haven't checked this out yet but I will.

Just looking at the NPRs with landscape stakebeds and the 5-ft dovetail makes me think that the truck looks awkward and unbalanced. I may just go with 10-ft aluminum ramps and forget about the dovetail.

/ Winch installed on the Isuzu NPR #5  
Looking good. I am not sure about your roller either. I do not think it will stand up to a hard pull, especially if you just use ramps and no DT. On that subject also, I would mock up some 10' ramps with lumber first and try to drive a small tractor like a lawn mower up it and see how it feels. I have a feeling its going to be one heck of a angle.

Chris

Looking good. I am not sure about your roller either. I do not think it will stand up to a hard pull, especially if you just use ramps and no DT. On that subject also, I would mock up some 10' ramps with lumber first and try to drive a small tractor like a lawn mower up it and see how it feels. I have a feeling its going to be one heck of a angle.

Chris

Thanks for the comments.
That roller is made from 1-1/4" galvanized pipe and pipe fittings. If it bends, I'll replace the stationary part with steel rod. My heaviest tractor is about 4000 lb. Winching it up the 10-ft ramps which are inclined at about 20 deg only requires about 1500-2000 lb of pull in the cable (assuming the tractor wheels are rolling and I'm not dragging it up the ramps).

Here's a YouTube clip showing a tractor unloading from a stakebed truck similar to my NPR

YouTube - Vintage Tractor

Doesn't look too scary.

/ Winch installed on the Isuzu NPR #7  
Two things I see that might be worth considering, a) the gaps on the roller setup could end up binding your cable. Maybe weld some washers to end of the pipe to give it a shoulder? b) placing all of the weight on the tailboard and ramps could unload the trucks front end. I had a NPR diesel and 20 foot aluminum rollback. Lifting heavier cars would cause the front end to lift. Otherwise, look forward to seeing how it works for you. Are you planning on towing a trailer behind to take the whole fleet?

Two things I see that might be worth considering, a) the gaps on the roller setup could end up binding your cable. Maybe weld some washers to end of the pipe to give it a shoulder? b) placing all of the weight on the tailboard and ramps could unload the trucks front end. I had a NPR diesel and 20 foot aluminum rollback. Lifting heavier cars would cause the front end to lift. Otherwise, look forward to seeing how it works for you. Are you planning on towing a trailer behind to take the whole fleet?

You're right---the roller part of that setup needs to be wider--another trip to the hardware store.

I've attached brackets to the underside of the stakebed rear end for a pair of farm jacks to keep the front end from lifting.

DSCF0042 (Small).JPG

No plans for trailer towing--haven't installed a receiver hitch yet. I don't have any info on the NPR towing capacity but I suspect it's not that large-- maybe 6000-7000 lb.

/ Winch installed on the Isuzu NPR #9  
Thanks for the comments.
That roller is made from 1-1/4" galvanized pipe and pipe fittings. If it bends, I'll replace the stationary part with steel rod. My heaviest tractor is about 4000 lb. Winching it up the 10-ft ramps which are inclined at about 20 deg only requires about 1500-2000 lb of pull in the cable (assuming the tractor wheels are rolling and I'm not dragging it up the ramps).

Here's a YouTube clip showing a tractor unloading from a stakebed truck similar to my NPR

YouTube - Vintage Tractor

Doesn't look too scary.
Those ramps look to be longer than 10' to me and very heavy.

Chris

Those ramps look to be longer than 10' to me and very heavy.

Chris

Could be--it's hard to tell from the angle that the video was shot. Maybe 12 ft long?

And you're right--those appear to be steel ramps and are sure to be heavier that equivalent capacity aluminum ramps.