Winged snow drag

/ Winged snow drag #1  

HunterK

Tractor
John Deere model b
Made a snow drag for clearing the drive way this weekend. I made it out of scrap wood and it cleared of 3 inchs of snow off my driveway with ease. I uses two 8 feet long 5 inch wide boards nailed them together at a 90 degree angle then added support braces in the middle .... Used two eye bolts to run rope through bolted towards the front of the v shaped plow then tied the rope to the three point hitch arms on my tractor and took off . Used weights off my weight set in my basement to weigh down plow . Easy to build takes about thirty minutes + it's cheap. Will post pics later!

/ Winged snow drag #2  
Yeah, post some pics! It sounds like it's better than me towing a pallet around with my garden tractor! :laughing:

/ Winged snow drag #3  
I recall seeing those in the 50's pulled behind farm tractors and teams of horses. Seems villages would use them on village streets just mainly to keep a smooth surface of packed snow. Also, in the day when there were a number of sleighs and sleds used in winter they made a good snow surface.

My HS girlfriend's father used one at their home as the only way to move snow. Pulled it behind an old case tractor.

A good simple way to move snow.

/ Winged snow drag #4  
Keeping it simple sooo much easier if repairs up grades are needed. :)

Yes indeed..pics.

/ Winged snow drag #5  
Does this look anything like what you have made?
HOMEMADE SNOWPLOW
I made one similar before my tractor purchase. pulling it with my 4x4. It did work but the gravel on the drivway really chewed up the wood quickly, also my driveway is not quite falt so it tended to slide sideways but cleared 1000" plus driveway with it!

/ Winged snow drag #6  
I remeber similar plow when I was a kid. The plow angle was quite sharp and it was quite long. It was pulled by a horse. The horse was walking inside of the V.

/ Winged snow drag #7  
Made a snow drag for clearing the drive way this weekend. I made it out of scrap wood and it cleared of 3 inchs of snow off my driveway with ease. I uses two 8 feet long 5 inch wide boards nailed them together at a 90 degree angle then added support braces in the middle .... Used two eye bolts to run rope through bolted towards the front of the v shaped plow then tied the rope to the three point hitch arms on my tractor and took off . Used weights off my weight set in my basement to weigh down plow . Easy to build takes about thirty minutes + it's cheap. Will post pics later!

that is a really good idea thanks

/ Winged snow drag #8  
I believe it was on TBN this week where one could purchase somewhat of same idea,slide in Reese hitch than pin it and pull w/your SUV...all metal.

/ Winged snow drag #9  
I also grew up with one as a boy in Central Va. My brother's and my job was to be the weights to hold the plow down! If the tractor went too fast the plow would wiggle back and forth leaving a pile of snow that looked like a snake. Tossed us off sometimes. We had a 1 mile dirt road to keep open for the milk truck. Worked well until we had the 2 ft snowstorm with drifts. Father bought a front blade two weeks later. End of v plow.

You can also make one for the front loader that will work well. That will move a surprising amount of snow with little effort. Here are a couple of pictures of mine made from plywood and 2 by 6 oak. Cleans 11 ft at one pass using a 35 hp tractor.

Attachments

• Front v plow.jpg
    Front v plow.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 559
  • On the road small.jpg
    On the road small.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 349
   / Winged snow drag
Matt w looks just like the one on the link to keep the wool from gettin eat up I put roofing nails w/ the big metal heads in the bottom will post pics hopefully tommorow we are suppose to get 2-5 inchs tonight so I'm going to probably use it tomorrow