Winter 2018-19

/ Winter 2018-19 #1  

leonz

Tractor
JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP
Greetings fellow board members,

First please let me say Happy Canada Day to our TBN family members to the north.

I realize its 1, July 2018 and extremely hot nation wide but as the weather is snow free here and its late fall early/winter time for our TBN members in the southern hemispere that have to deal with snow I wanted to start the conversation about that four letter word "snow".

It is not too early/never too early to hook up the snow blower grease the bearings, spray the metal parts that contact snow with fluid film and turn the PTO one and let it run for an hour and just listen to is run to identify any possible problems before they start like worn out roller chain and these are easy to identify;

1. loose chain link rollers that you can move up and down or side to side within the side plates of the roller chain.

2. loose worn chain link pins that let the link move from side to side even a little bit

3. loose chain tension, remember the chain must be tighter on the top of the chain running length. Investi8ng in a chain tension gauge is cheap insurance to let you tension the chain properly and in the process extend the chains running life.

4. replacing shear pins/bolts that may need replacing them after coating them with never sieze before you put the new ones in the shear pin holes.

a. if they are rusted in place its better to find out now rather than in a snow storm laying on a blue tarp that is not very good at keeping the cold out. Finding this out now saves you work and time with a pin punch and hammer and a flash light or work light that has a magnetic mount.

a. investing in a chain breaker and chain tensioning tool to bring the chain halves together when repairing and replacing them if you do not own them already-saves filling the sear jar with money you could spend on an N gauge model train layout.

b. purchasing a box of 40 roller chain and spare master and half links to have on hand in case you need them
c. purchasing a box of 60 roller chain and spare master and half links to have on hand in case you need them.
(only if you do not have them on hand already of course) you cannot save money when buying roller chain in small lengths and buying roller chain a KAMAN Industrial or a heavy equipment place that sells salt and sand spreaders will save you money.

If you have time paint the chute and spout with slick plate paint after you scrape any loose paint off the chute and spout or perhaps remove the chute and spout and line them with slick plastic from Horn Plastics as they offer small left over pieces for sale that can be installed on the parts that contact snow.

You can purchase flat head bolts/elevator bolts from farmtek and other places to mount the plastic sheeting on the areas that contact snow.

Me, I am still hoping the JD/RAD junk I have gets stolen as I have to buy $300.00 in repair parts for it and I can then purchase a Yamaha YT1028EJ snow blower or its smaller brother the YT824J.

/ Winter 2018-19 #2  
Really!Enough talk of snow-blowers;it's 90F+right now;going to camp and sit by the river and watch the boats go by.

/ Winter 2018-19 #3  
Right now the heat index in central Michigan is around 100 degrees, so just keeping up with the affairs of routine rarm maintenance equates to huge amount of expended enegery. Snowblower can wait until October.
However, long range planning probably should include inspecting my winter Carharts to insure ‘Miss mouse’
Is not raising a litter or two in the side pockets.
One can never be too careful......

B. John

/ Winter 2018-19 #4  
Just to hard focus on winter when temp 96F least 4 more days to go,but glad your thinking ahead tho.

/ Winter 2018-19 #5  
Within the next month or so, I'll be searching for whatever long-range snow forecasts I can find. I had enough hot weather to satisfy me back in May. Toying with different ideas that will result in replacing the tractor with one that has A/C.

/ Winter 2018-19
Hello Chim,

I am wondering out loud if you would be better off buying a big coleman RV air conditioner and
mounting it on the roof of the L3200???
Candidly, I do not know if the Coleman units are 12, 24 or 110 volt units-BUT I have seen them mounted on BX mules working in Europe. There is a video on you tube with one of the BX units mowing and with the rear window open-go figure.
It might be worth looking at what it would cost to install a factory air installed air conditioner in the L3200 just to get an idea of the expense but if the entire cabin has to be removed and sent to the scrap yard in the sky its would be better to keep it as a back up mule.

/ Winter 2018-19 #7  
Hey Leon, I'm a step ahead this summer. Our winter was so poor that I don't have any repairs and only minimal maintenance, some of which I've already done. Just need some good snow for 2018-19.

/ Winter 2018-19 #8  
leonz, I've looked at some and I don't know if there's an alternator that I could get to support one. Thanks and I'll search some more.

/ Winter 2018-19 #9  
RV air conditioners run of 110v, not 12v. The smallest ones are pretty iffy for starting on a 2000 watt generator. Some people get them to work, others not so much. Even if they did come in 12v, that's still 150@ or more. You have to get a really beefy alternator to do that, far more than you find on a CUT. 2000 watts is a hair over 2.5 HP, before you add in conversion losses.

/ Winter 2018-19 #10  
Do manufacturers de-rate the PTO HP on tractors with factory cabs to account for the loss from AC?