Winter 2018-19

/ Winter 2018-19
No I do not believe this is done as the air conditioner has an electric clutch operated gas compressor operated off the crank pulley as far as I know and the air conditioner fan is at least a 12 volt fan. If anything it would reduce the net horsepower available to the mule and the power take off.

/ Winter 2018-19
leonz, I've looked at some and I don't know if there's an alternator that I could get to support one. Thanks and I'll search some more.

====================================================================================

Hello Chim,

I got to thinking/masticating/chewing on your situation and I am wondering if putting a 110 volt generator on a tool caddy would help you?? If you have a rear mount mower the idea is moot I guess but a belly mount mower would let you use a tool caddy to carry a small generator.

/ Winter 2018-19 #13  
If anything it would reduce the net horsepower available to the mule and the power take off.

Engine HP are generally quoted as Gross, so it doesn't matter what accessories you add - GHP remains the same.

However, PTO HP are a Net number, and anything you take away upstream affects that. It seems unfair to me to quote 30 PTO HP if it's really only 28 when the AC is running. Especially if your main use is cutting grass in Texas.

/ Winter 2018-19 #14  
====================================================================================

Hello Chim,

I got to thinking/masticating/chewing on your situation and I am wondering if putting a 110 volt generator on a tool caddy would help you?? If you have a rear mount mower the idea is moot I guess but a belly mount mower would let you use a tool caddy to carry a small generator.

Appreciate the thoughts. I do have a rear mower. I guess I should be happy with the shade from the roof and a fan.

/ Winter 2018-19
Hello Chim,

I am wondering if perhaps painting the roof with several coats of white latex barn paint would help you?

It may make the cab colder in the winter time if you are plowing but if you have a cab heater and defroster its not an issue of course.

Leon

/ Winter 2018-19 #16  
Do manufacturers de-rate the PTO HP on tractors with factory cabs to account for the loss from AC?

Rotary AC compressors are really efficient now and only take a couple of hp compared to the old giant piston types from the 70's that sucked hp.

/ Winter 2018-19
That explains why they have automotive vane type R-14 gas compressors for these air conditioners.

/ Winter 2018-19 #18  
Snow, yes, SNOW!!!!!! Cool crisp air, no allergies, much less sweating, and that lovely SNOW! I am so tired of this hot and HUMID weather that thinking about snow is wonderful. Please freeze all these mosquitoes too.

/ Winter 2018-19 #19  
Hello Chim,

I am wondering if perhaps painting the roof with several coats of white latex barn paint would help you?

It may make the cab colder in the winter time if you are plowing but if you have a cab heater and defroster its not an issue of course.

Leon

Good idea. I see a lot of school buses with white tops around here. Kind of like to stick with the current paint scheme. The underside of the roof is insulated with 1" armaflex sheet. With the doors off and fan running it's OK, but at 69 I'd prefer it to feel more like the Tahoe. 30 years ago it was a real step up to get an old small open station tractor and sell the re-branded MTD riding mower. I'm really blessed and shouldn't complain.

/ Winter 2018-19 #20  
I spend most of my snow-less months planning and preparing for the months with snow. July is prime-time for preparing though I hate doing it when it's 90+ degrees outside.