winter tire question

/ winter tire question #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
We traded in my old truck for a new car for the wife. its a 2009 jetta se, has 215 55 r16 tires on it. Since it has all the airbags traction control etc, she will be taking our little one to the baby sitters. I have a set of 215 60 r 16 (not truck tires these came off a cougar) snow tires in the barn, will these fit on the car? I get confused about all the numbers.
the first is the height in mm? the second is the ? the last is the rim size.
thanks
forgeblast

/ winter tire question #2  
Forgeblast, Those tires you mentioned are relatively the same size.

First number 215. Yup, both are 215

Second number 55 on one and 60 on other. Very close. This percentage of high as wide, or percentage of high as wide. Brain freeze

Last number 16. Diameter. Both 16 inch wheels.

Normally, I would say this small distinction between the two are nothing, barely noticeable or visible.

However, the 2009 version of traction control thing. Hmmmm... Those CAN BE very sensitive and very squeamish about stuff like this, although this small difference doesn't seem too likely. Best bet is to call a local VW service garage/dealer near you. They might not want to engage in much of a conversation about this, but try anyhow. Tire stores are not really a source for information about traction control. Well, that's my little word on it.

/ winter tire question #3  
Go to this website Tire size calculator It will calculate the number for you. For what you list the tires would be about 1" larger diameter and you speedometer would read 62mph instead of 60. My guess is they would fit and work fine. The first number is the width in millimeters, the second number is the aspect ratio, as in the tire is 55% as tall as it is wide, and the last number is the rim diameter in inches.

/ winter tire question
Thank you both, I will give our local VW a call. The truck i traded in was a dodge, 99 quad cab, 4x4, v8. thats a great calculator its one i will be bookmarking.
thank you again.

/ winter tire question #5  
They are so close you probably won't notice a difference. Since you are putting the same size tire on all 4 corners, ABS and traction control won't be affected. With good snow tires on that Jetta, you won't miss the Dodge a bit. Matter of fact, except for snow over the hood, the Jetta will probably be better.

/ winter tire question
Lol the dodge was a dead horse. Wouldnt go into 4x4, rust on all four corners, was starting to have transmission troubles, and since i would hardly drive it bees in the fender, on top of steering that was like a lumber jack sawing a tree(back and forth). I was going to drive it until it died, because there was no way i would ever sell this truck to anyone. Then cash for clunkers came out and i was able to unload it. It solved a ton of issues. Plus the once we drove it, the jetta was, from a safe and solid construction stand point the only car i wanted my wife and little one in. The traction control on top of the side curtain air bags really put us at ease. If they had a tdi we would have taken it, but the last one was sold to a guy from chicago who was flying in to buy it.

/ winter tire question #7  
The one thing I would venture to guess that if the snow tires are larger diameter and thus larger circumference the speedometer would actually give you a slightly slower readout then the actual speed. I thought the speedometer is tied into the transmission or some part like that. So. it counts the number of times something in there turns over. If the tires are larger they would travel a longer distance for each of those revolutions resulting in higher then indicated speed. Just a guess.
However. I too think it will work just fine.