Wire feed welder

/ Wire feed welder #1  

MoArk Willy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320
I bought a small DC arc welder last fall. I am very happy with it. I am just a hobbyist with a small shop and mostly use it to fabricate small items and fix the bigger ones.
I. have thought of getting a small wire feed welder but I'm not sure if I will use or need it. Should I decide to do so, should I opt for a MIG welder or is a FLUX wire all that I should consider?
I'm just wondering what the rest of you have done or bought for your situation.

Thanks for any input you can give me.

/ Wire feed welder #2  
Mig has more options and is the “industry standard”. Wire feed is a cheaper option- like $100 on amazon cheap......I bought my nephews the amazon welder as a gift and it seems to work OK- not great but OK.

For me, I’d spring for the MIG. A 175+ amp machine can weld about anything with enough passes. You should watch for a used machine- they pop up regularly

/ Wire feed welder #3  
I would get one with shielding gas. You can always put in a roll of flux core if needed for welding outdoors or steel that's not spotless. I also think a 175 or more amps on 220V is better. Watch Craigslist if you would consider used and try before you buy to make sure it works.

/ Wire feed welder #4  
I would get one with shielding gas. You can always put in a roll of flux core if needed for welding outdoors or steel that's not spotless. I also think a 175 or more amps on 220V is better. Watch Craigslist if you would consider used and try before you buy to make sure it works.

Just make sure it's compatible with flux core, which often runs with opposite polarity from MIG. I have an HF 180 amp 220 gas/flux combo, it's been great so far after three years. I've yet to hook gas to it!

/ Wire feed welder #5  
I would rather have one really good welder than two cheap ones, and I welded for many years with stick welders before I ever touched a mig machine.

/ Wire feed welder #6  
Buy a decent mig welder.
Make sure it's set up for gas shielding with regulator and solenoid. You can always use it with inner shield/flux core wire instead of using gas when in breezy conditions.

/ Wire feed welder #7  
I sstarted with a cheap 90a welder which was not that good but performed some light work, next step was a 185a, had a choice of two that were about $500 and $700 au$, the major difference was a 10% duty cycle vs 25%, I opted for the bigger one.
Both have stick and gas capabilities as well as gasless and polarity change, a spool gun is also available for the bigger one.
Both are invertter, Unimig which I think is a local name for a universal product.

/ Wire feed welder #8  
I do all of my welding with stick but wanted something portable for those times when I can't bring an item to the welder. I didn't like the reviews on the HF cheapos and I came across the Forney Easy Weld 299 125FC flux core welder on Amazon. I've only used it a few times so far but I like it and it will serve it's purpose which is to be able to bring the welder to the work and plug it into a standard wall outlet.

Here's a link:
Forney Easy Weld 299 125FC Flux Core Welder, 12-Volt, 125-Amp - - Amazon.com

/ Wire feed welder #9  
Mig has more options and is the “industry standard”. Wire feed is a cheaper option- like $100 on amazon cheap......I bought my nephews the amazon welder as a gift and it seems to work OK- not great but OK.

For me, I’d spring for the MIG. A 175+ amp machine can weld about anything with enough passes. You should watch for a used machine- they pop up regularly

I watched and waited, and got lucky.
Bought a NEW Hobart Handler 190, (190 amp 220V) MIG welder for $455.
Hobart is owned by Miller.
No tax...free shipping....super deal!

/ Wire feed welder #10  
I watched and waited, and got lucky.
Bought a NEW Hobart Handler 190, (190 amp 220V) MIG welder for $455.
Hobart is owned by Miller.
No tax...free shipping....super deal!

Where did you find that?

Rob