Wire size for a pump?

/ Wire size for a pump?
Thank you. I've run the wire to outside the house, so if I decide to dig a well, I'll be good to go. If I decide to get the water from my pond, I'll run power down to the pond and put a pump in the water. I want to build a pier anyway, so that would be a perfect place for a pump. Just don't have any idea when any of this will happen.

/ Wire size for a pump? #32  
I have installed my fair share of pumps for cottage owners.
I always have used deep well pumps that I mounted on a welded up pedestal so that the pumps would stand proud of the silty lake bottoms.
Some advantages are: pump is always primed, never needs removing due to winter freeze up.
Most installations are into the 10-15 year spans without any problems.
In some installations I used heat tracing wire due to soil conditions and others are simply buried below frost line.
Those that are merely for summer usage I'd install a 'T' below water level and a ball valve on the 'T' so simplify seasonal draining.
Drainage was simple, shut off pump, open all faucets and then open the submerged ball valve.
Presto, system drained for the winter.
Reverse process for spring hook up.
No pump/system priming for me.

Should add, all told the $'s difference between submerged well pumps and piston or jet pumps is not all that impressive to not use a deep well pump.

/ Wire size for a pump? #33  
I agree submersibles are always better than jet pumps. Over sizing the wire is not really a good thing with a sub. Actually using the longest length of the smallest wire possible makes a reduced voltage soft stater and reduces torque by up to 36%. Over sizing the wire makes it a harder start, but with small pumps won't hurt much.

How a Pressure Tank Works and why you need a Cycle Stop Valve on Vimeo

/ Wire size for a pump? #34  
My artesian is 670 ft deep, 150 from house.
5 hp single phase pump on 40 amp breaker, 8/3 wire