Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations

/ Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations #21  
Have a Mighy Mule that I used in our last house. Worked well enough to warrant keepng it, like new. The alarm was aggravating and drove the wife nuts. Plus, as often as it went off, disconnecting it was a pain.

If I mowed the lawn I would set it off everytime I came close to it so it was aggravating to everyone in the house. Finally pulled it out and stored it.

Last edited:
   / Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations #22  
I use the Dakota Alert magnetic loop under the driveway. About 3000' distance. I used a piece of PVC pipe under the driveway to set the sensor. It is sensitive enough to detect a rifle being carried over the sensor and no false trips for animals, only metal objects.

It also senses the magnetic field created by lighting miles away.

Last edited:
   / Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations #23  
Look at Milton Bells. We have had the wireless version in service for about 10 years.

/ Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations
I use the Dakota Alert magnetic loop under the driveway. About 3000' distance. I used a piece of PVC pipe under the driveway to set the sensor. It is sensitive enough to detect a rifle being carried over the sensor and no false trips for animals, only metal objects.

It also senses the magnetic field created by lighting miles away.

I have a GE brand inductive sensor for the last several years. I'm plagued with false alarms. I thought it because of my electric fence across the drive from the sensor. I was interested in a longer signal distance to install it away from the fence. I didn't think of the lightning storms. I wonder if reducing the sensitivity will help yet detect vehicles if buried in the driveway.

Look at Milton Bells. We have had the wireless version in service for about 10 years.

Walt44 How long does the hose last ? Is your driveway paved ?

/ Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations #26  
I have Ring cameras. I live 1/4 mile off the highway and I can set my cameras up to detect cars passing on the highway if I so desire or just detect motion down my driveway. However I can see the cars pass throgh the trees in front so you would need line of sight. Not necessarily unobstructed but you need to be able to detect motion. All you need is Wifi if you use their battery powered cameras. I really like the way they work and the options you have with them.

/ Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations #27  
I also like them because you can view them on your phone and talk to the friend or foe if you aren't home.

/ Wireless Driveway alert or alarm recommendations #29  
You might check out this similar thread.

Includes lots of good suggestions.

Have only replaced the hose once with crushed limestone driveway.
I have ordered a Dakota Alert with the rubber hose across a gravel driveway. I had to choose between false alerts and the obvious hose across the drive. I liked the idea of the invisible inductive sensor buried beneath the road. I think the malevolent visitor is less likely than the delivery and friendly people.
I don't like getting caught in my underwear :oops: