Wireless TV signal

/ Wireless TV signal #1  

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
I'd love to get rid of Dish, but still get the local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX channels. We live down in a valley, and back when TV was analog, and before DISH, we had a roof antennae with a rotor, and could get about 2 1/2 channels via it.

Now they've all gone digital, but I figure a roof antennae wouldn't do much more than it did before....we just don't have good line of sight to the broadcast antennas.

BUT I do have access to the top of our mountain, and from there, I figure I could get a signal from all the locals. Problem is, that is 2500' up the mountain (at an angle, about 800' of elevation change). Running cable would be near impossible from there.

Is there some equipment I could get a signal from a digital antennae into, then get it wireless down to my house and into my TV ?

I do have power at the top of the mountain, and 100' tower to put the antennae on (used for wireless internet in the past, the company died, so I have DSL for now)? Line of sight from tower to house.

Thanks.

/ Wireless TV signal #2  
FWIW...Just for the heck of it...if you can get your hands on a cheapo set of just rabbit ear antennas...hook them up and see what happens...you might be amazed...! (and inspired about what you might get with an external antenna).

One caveat... on many newer flat panel (digital) TV's...you may have to access the menu and tell it to scan for digital (over the air/antenna) signals...just switching the input port (from say HDMI to Antenna) won't work...

I would connect the rabbit ears directly to the TV rather than going through a sat./cable box...
Good Luck...

/ Wireless TV signal #3  
Most of the local channels now are broadcasting in HD;you will either get a good signal or none at all.I would try an antenna first.

/ Wireless TV signal #4  
Check these two sites to see what you might receive....
http://www.antennaweb.org/address.aspx
The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

I put up a high gain antenna on a rotor about 30' up on my roof peak and an inline amplifier. I can get about 10-12 digital over the air channels about 30-50 miles away and somewhat dependent on weather, some of which have better clarity than what I get over cable.
Getting the signal down the mountain would be an interesting problem.

/ Wireless TV signal #5  
It's all about quality components and attention to detail. Jdemaris posted a link one time to proven high gain antenna. A rotor is usually required . Low loss rg6 cable with water proof connectors . The amplifier combination FM radio filter needs to be antenna mounted, not located at the TV. TV Fool

/ Wireless TV signal #6  
Please advise how much money do you have, and your electronics/antenna skill level.

Several solutions come to mind from building actual head ends like a cable company would do or even simple passive repeater solutions consisting of unpowered passive antenna's

/ Wireless TV signal #7  
I agree with trying first... TV signals aren't LOS, they do "bounce around" off of things. Not saying it'll work, but it's the easiest solution.

That said, to your original question, I can only really think of a kludge. I use windows media center, and I use network tuners.
In theory, the tuner could be up on the mountain, and then a wireless bridge (needs to be FAST) to the house.
I think the tuner company, Silicon Dust, has encoding tuners and then (don't quote me) an app for the TV. That would lessen the network requirement and remove the need for windows media center. NONE of this is pretty or cheap.

If you can't run a cable down, how does it have power up there?
I always question the "I can't run a cable". If it's up a mountain or a cat-5 from one end of the house to the other. Where there's a will, there's a way. A cable is always better.

Just saying..

/ Wireless TV signal #8  
Channels 2-6 will travel the farthest per watt of transmitter power. They will sometimes even skip like CB radio transmissions. However the long wave length makes the antenna very wide and heavily wind loaded. Channel 2-6 in will suffer some interference from FM broadcast radio.
Channel 7-13 are the next best to travel distances .
Channels 14-59 are pretty much like of sight and can be attenuated by rain, snow or fog.

/ Wireless TV signal #9  
When TV was analog, we could get about 30 to 35 stations with an antenna in the attic. Once stations went digital, we could only get 2 or 3, even with an antenna outside on the roof. Most stations have tweaked their equipment a bit since the initial switch, so hopefully you can get a decent signal to a couple stations with an antenna. Don't waste your money on "special digital antennas", any good antenna designed properly will work.

/ Wireless TV signal #10  
Channels 2-6 will travel the farthest per watt of transmitter power. They will sometimes even skip like CB radio transmissions. However the long wave length makes the antenna very wide and heavily wind loaded. Channel 2-6 in will suffer some interference from FM broadcast radio.
Channel 7-13 are the next best to travel distances .
Channels 14-59 are pretty much like of sight and can be attenuated by rain, snow or fog.

I am by no means an expert in any of this, but.... Is the above still true? I know back in the analog days that channels 2-12 were VHF and 13-83(?) were UHF. I remember as a kid that channels 2 and 5 were were especially susceptible to CB intererence - something to do with their frequencies/wave lengths being some sort of multiplier of the 27 Mhz band that CBs used. I thought when the world went digital that ALL the digital channels became UHF in spite of being designated as 2-1 (or 2.1), 2-2 (or 2.2), 2-3, 7-1,.... In other words, even though 2.1 is now delivering the same station as the old analog channel 2, it's now UHF instead of channel 2's VHF.

Also read that because of this, any old UHF antenna was basically the equivalent of a "digital TV antenna".

Like I said, I'm no expert and my memory sure ain't what it used to be!