Wireless TV signal

/ Wireless TV signal #11  
All channels are now UHF, unless special variance from FCC.
I believe the variances to be few, but one station, broadcasting probably less than a dozen miles from me, is one of them. 9&10 out of Cadillac (broadcast out of Tustin, I think), MI is VHF. All others around me are UHF.

The whole point (other than auction money) was to narrow the frequency band that TV took up.

/ Wireless TV signal #12  
I say it's do able, with an antenna, and coax cable.

All you probably need, is a regular TV antenna, at the top of the hill. And, a powered signal amplifier.

You may need an amp, at both ends of the coax.

The signal is defiantly going to need amplification to go that far. The $64,000 question is, how much amplification?

It may take some type of commercial amplifier, to do it.

It may also take commercial coax.

The best thing about digital is, the interference that signal amplifiers used to potentially put in the picture, does not happen.

Don't fall for the "digital" antenna hype. The signal is on the same band as before. An analog antenna works fine.

I have lots of TV's hooked up to an antenna. And, it works far better now, than it did before we went digital.

/ Wireless TV signal #13  
I am by no means an expert in any of this, but.... Is the above still true? I know back in the analog days that channels 2-12 were VHF and 13-83(?) were UHF. I remember as a kid that channels 2 and 5 were were especially susceptible to CB intererence - something to do with their frequencies/wave lengths being some sort of multiplier of the 27 Mhz band that CBs used. I thought when the world went digital that ALL the digital channels became UHF in spite of being designated as 2-1 (or 2.1), 2-2 (or 2.2), 2-3, 7-1,.... In other words, even though 2.1 is now delivering the same station as the old analog channel 2, it's now UHF instead of channel 2's VHF.

Also read that because of this, any old UHF antenna was basically the equivalent of a "digital TV antenna".

Like I said, I'm no expert and my memory sure ain't what it used to be!

Tv channels used to run 2-69 before the last round of sell offs to the cellular phone industry . When TV went from analog to digital , channels 52-69 were sold off to cellular. I did have a senior moment and was thinking the upper active tv channel was 59 but it's 51.
Channels 2-51 are all in use. There are fewer down at 2-6 because the signals travel farther and I terrier with each other. The next band up is channels 7-13 and they will travel farther than the 14-51 channels.
Antennas for channels 14-51 have the advantage of being small and compact due to short wave length.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_television_frequencies

/ Wireless TV signal #14  
All channels are now UHF, unless special variance from FCC.
I believe the variances to be few, but one station, broadcasting probably less than a dozen miles from me, is one of them. 9&10 out of Cadillac (broadcast out of Tustin, I think), MI is VHF. All others around me are UHF.

The whole point (other than auction money) was to narrow the frequency band that TV took up.
What is your source for that statement?

Here ABC Ch 5.1 transmits on RF Ch 7 and PBS 13.1 is on RF 13

RF Ch 2 - 6 are no longer used for Digital TV in my area.

This is one of the best Websites for digital reception information: TV Fool

Last edited:
   / Wireless TV signal #15  
Keep in mind guys channel numbers are just arbitrary numbers we assign for reference. They have no actual relation to actual RF frequency's

/ Wireless TV signal #16  
I'M able to get a station that's over 100 miles away using one of the $70 "long range" antennas that go on the roof so give that a try first as it won't cost you much to try. Might be surprised.

If you live by a big city it is amazing how many free stations there are. We only get about 6 different programs here but when I lived between Tulsa and OKC I got over 40 with just a wal mart antenna. Everything from kids programming to country music TV including some spanish channels and a few religious channels along with the big networks like Fox, CBS, NBC, etc....

/ Wireless TV signal #17  
We went wireless 2 years ago.With the old analog we could only get 2 or 3 channels with out snow. Now we literally get 35 channels and they are all clearer then cable or dish.What amazed me is some stations got as many as 6 channels now.Every major network stations have at least 2 or 3.We do have a rotor that helps clear up channels in another direction.I believe it cost about $70.00 to get hooked up.I do miss the sports,but I am not going to spend $100 or more a month to watch a ball game.The NFL is still pretty much free.

/ Wireless TV signal #19  
Fox out of Detroit is using channel 2.

But they are transmitting on RF Ch 7, a VHF frequency: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJBK

WJBK, virtual channel 2 (VHF digital channel 7), is a Fox owned-and-operated television station located in Detroit, Michigan, United States. The station is owned by the Fox Television Stations subsidiary of 21st Century Fox. WJBK maintains studio and transmitter facilities located on West 9 Mile Road in the Detroit suburb of Southfield.[1][2]

/ Wireless TV signal
We went wireless 2 years ago.With the old analog we could only get 2 or 3 channels with out snow. Now we literally get 35 channels and they are all clearer then cable or dish.What amazed me is some stations got as many as 6 channels now.

By 'wireless', you mean you dropped cable and went to an antennae ?

Based on responses here, I guess I'll try one down here at the house.

The tower I have at the mountain top is 2500' up. We did run power there, in a black, roll type conduit, just laid on the ground up thru the woods. It was a major PITA to do, and I would not want to repeat it with cable, plus I assume it would take some serious boosting of signal even if I did get the cable run.....hence I was looking for a wireless solution. I have little electronics experience....my skills are more 'hard' stuff....I built the tower, got the power to it, for example, but the internet company put the equipment on it. I know little about that stuff.

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.

andy