Won’t start

/ Won’t start #1  

brooster1973

Tractor
Kubota L3940
I just changed fuel filter on my L3940 and it won’t restart now. When I took the fuel bowl off to change the filter there was about a 1/2” of what appeared to be rust in the bottom, I cleaned the bowl and put the new element in, there was no spring in the bowl so I didn’t know there was supposed to be one. Would this keep it from starting and running? Also I filled the bowl with fresh fuel when I replaced it and went through the bleeding steps as stated in the manual with no luck

/ Won’t start #2  
If your engine is similar to others, there is probaly air still in the lines feeding your injectors.

Did your bleeding procedure tell you to loosen the supply line one at a time to each injector, then turn over the engine until fuel begins to squirt out, then tighten that line and do it to the next one?

I would say if your filter housing uses a spring you'll probaly want to get one but that would not stop the tractor from stating, it would potentially allow contaminants to pass by the element if I'm understanding how that spring might work.

Try to give us a little more details on what you did to bleed the lines

/ Won’t start #3  
My much older L3710 is self bleeding, I would think your unit would be the same. The first time starting after changing the fuel filter it cranks for about 15 seconds and then fires right off. It does sound like you have air in the system.

/ Won’t start #4  
I just changed fuel filter on my L3940 and it won’t restart now. When I took the fuel bowl off to change the filter there was about a 1/2” of what appeared to be rust in the bottom, I cleaned the bowl and put the new element in, there was no spring in the bowl so I didn’t know there was supposed to be one. Would this keep it from starting and running? Also I filled the bowl with fresh fuel when I replaced it and went through the bleeding steps as stated in the manual with no luck

According to the parts diagram there is supposed to be a spring in the bottom of the water trap to keep the filter in place. If there was half inch of rust in the bottom of the trap I would suspect there is water in the fuel. The water must have been there a long time to disintegrate the spring or the spring was never put in. Either way I would also suspect you have water in the tank which you will need to remove and possible rusting tank if it is steel. I would empty and clean tank first and then clean and replace fuel filter before trying to start engine!! Use fresh fuel as well.

/ Won’t start
If your engine is similar to others, there is probaly air still in the lines feeding your injectors.

Did your bleeding procedure tell you to loosen the supply line one at a time to each injector, then turn over the engine until fuel begins to squirt out, then tighten that line and do it to the next one?

I would say if your filter housing uses a spring you'll probaly want to get one but that would not stop the tractor from stating, it would potentially allow contaminants to pass by the element if I'm understanding how that spring might work.

Try to give us a little more details on what you did to bleed the lines
There is a bleeder valve in-line that they say to open and let run for 30 secs then close, but that hasn’t helped as it won’t run, I will try cracking each of the lines to bleed, thanks for the help