Wonder why parts aren’t available?

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available? #1  

D&D

Platinum Member
Tractor
KIoti, JD, Kubota
A dumpster diver on FB found a bunch of brand new excavator parts in the dumpster. Whoever dumped didn’t even bother to cash in on scrap value :unsure:

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available? #2  
Many companies only stock parts for 10 years. Actually saw that at an Oliver/White warehouse when they had one on Columbus, Ohio. Went with a buddy to pick up some parts on will call since it was so close, and would save a day or so before going through the pipeline to the dealership.

Also, scrap companies will provide roll off containers to places like that, and will pick them up saving them hauling it in. Probably lucky he didn't get arrested...

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available? #3  
Many companies only stock parts for 10 years. Actually saw that at an Oliver/White warehouse when they had one on Columbus, Ohio. Went with a buddy to pick up some parts on will call since it was so close, and would save a day or so before going through the pipeline to the dealership.

Also, scrap companies will provide roll off containers to places like that, and will pick them up saving them hauling it in. Probably lucky he didn't get arrested...
Yea? I needed a flywheel ring gear for a 29yr old kubota tractor and there wasn't one in the country..but I had one in my hand in 3 weeks.

Just 2 weeks ago I needed a track tensioner bearing and seal for my 34yr old kubota mini ex..Messiks had it in stock and in my hands in 5 days.

I also recently changed the front hub seals on a 22yr old NH and had the parts in 5 days.

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available? #4  
Let me rephrase that, discontinued models that may not use the same part in newer models. Bearings & seals are usually standard item parts of a certain size across the board used in numerous applications.

Flywheel ring gear could be used in several models. Heck I can still get them for my 40's era Farmall's. Pricey but they have them. Being as frugal as I am I went with aftermarket at 1/3 the price.

And, there is one company I know of that buys those NOS parts and resells. Sad thing is, some states, probably many have an inventory tax, that anything a dealer has in stock is taxed. Not sure the rate, but must be enough it's not worth keeping those old parts. I know of several that has written those parts off as scrap but still in stock. One in particular was a 30 year old NOS/NIB 3 speed aux. transmission for my '65 Ford 2000 at a small out in the country dealer. Just the luck of the draw.

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available?
The ones I’ve dealt with wouldn’t take the assortment of boxes and wrappers shown.

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available? #6  
The ones I’ve dealt with wouldn’t take the assortment of boxes and wrappers shown.
Maybe in small amounts, but a container full of clean NOS parts more than likely will. Or could be they are going to a parts reseller as mentioned.

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available?
Maybe in small amounts, but a container full of clean NOS parts more than likely will. Or could be they are going to a parts reseller as mentioned.
Doesn’t seem like you watched the video so……

Attachments

• IMG_0023.png
    IMG_0023.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 228
   / Wonder why parts aren’t available? #8  
Oh, I definitely watched it, but have also been to enough scrap yards they have or have had in the past enough help around to sort stuff like that out. That's primo scrap, no rusty stuff, probably going to select buyers that will pay more for that type of scrap that will justify the sorting. Happens a lot here.

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available? #9  
To a company, that stuff has already been paid for, depreciated and charged off at a considerable gain to the company for tax relief. Selling it, in any manner, would subject the company to a host of accounting, legal and tax problems. It's not worth it so it goes into a bin.

/ Wonder why parts aren’t available? #10  
Doesn’t seem like you watched the video so……
So, what is that guy going to do with all of that stuff? Haul it all to the scrapyard at 10 cents a pound?

Or trickle it out on E-Bay over the next decade?

Some of it would likely be a good alloy for making knives, or other high tensile forging.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

FORD RUNNING BOARDS... (A34808)
FORD RUNNING...
3PT SICKLE MOWER (A34808)
3PT SICKLE MOWER...
1996 FREIGHTLINER FLC 11264T/ST S/A TRUCK TRACTOR, S/N 1FUWZWYB3TL579571, 3306 CAT ENG, 9 SPD TRA... (A34808)
1996 FREIGHTLINER...
2475 SKID STEER LOADER BUCKET (A34733)
2475 SKID STEER...
387 (A34808)
387 (A34808)
2002 Ford E450 Shuttlebus (A33249)
2002 Ford E450...