Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #11  
I think the Woods is the best designed cutter on the market in the standard to medium duty range (not the cheapest, however).

There are design aspects not yet discussed.

1. When you are cutting in the woods or anywhere there are lots of hard objects such as trees, bushes and rocks, you WILL be backing up a lot. You WILL unintentionally (and often deliberately) smash into LOTS of these hard objects with the back skirt of the cutter while backing up. You will also hit things with the side skirts of the cutter as you are turning or swinging around in tight quarters. Therefore the back and, to a lesser extent, the side skirts of an experienced cutter usually get all smashed and bent inward from these collisions. To help prevent this, Woods has molded in a tubular reinforcement arount the entire top edge of the deck-- a bumper, if you will. In addition, if you opt for the rear chain shielding, that is set up on a protruding flange that is like another bumper that protrudes out even further.

2. When you are cutting, big hard objects (logs, rocks, Jimmy Hoffa's femur) will recirculate around under the deck. These objects will dent the deck upward and outward from the inside. (Therefore, the thicker the deck and skirts the better for hard object cutting.) Eventually, you will even get a raised dent circle on the top deck. The paint will quickly flake off the deck wherever these dents are. Then these areas will rust. If you store your cutter outside, the rain and snow will pool on top of the deck and drastically accelerate this rusting process. Most cutters have flat top decks with cross braces that act as baffles, which prevent the water from flowing off the top of the deck and keep the water pooled on top. This type of deck design also traps and keeps debris all over the top of the deck. It's even hard to wash the debris off with a hose because of the flatness of the top deck and the baffling-blocking effect of the cross braces and welds. Woods has minimized this problem by shaping the top of the deck like a "hump" and getting most of the structure out of the way of shedding water. This design makes it easier to clean the deck, eliminates pooling of rain and other water, and hences slows rusting of the dented-flaked areas.

3. Woods has higher sidewalls on its decks. This gives more vertical airspace under the deck for the spinning blades to create upsuction.

4. The Woods "standard duty" line is heavier duty all around than Bushhog's or others.

The 3830 can lift something like 2700 lbs. 24" behind the 3ph pins. It should easily lift and handle even the 1200 lb. Woods medium duty 72" cutter. Whether you need that strong and heavy a cutter depends on what you are going to cut and how often. But the design elements above are on all the Woods cutters.

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #12  
I considered them, but can't afford them now. I'll see how it works as is against the multifloral rose. Most are pretty big anyway, so I'll have to raise the mower a bit anyway...

- Gerald

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #13  
Good points! Couldn't've been said better by Woods Marketing themselves!

I love the deck design. That alone was why I didn't buy a last-year's Woods another dealer was going to give me a steal of a deal on. My Cub Cadet (repainted and restickered Woods) 72" RFM has the older design and is nearly impossible to wash without getting a pool of crud somewhere...

Anyone even have a price on the SQ72? Just curious.

- Gerald

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #14  
Henro, GSS:

I just took delivery of a Woods BB60 with slip clutch and chain guard last week along with my new L-3130 HST. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I paid $1,165 for the BB60. So far I love the tractor and mower.

Gary

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #15  
Enjoy! All this talk about mowers is getting me antsy. I may have to feign sickness so I can leave early and get that BB72 spinning! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Gerald

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72
Thanks, That's the info I needed to make up my mind. Excellent research. Again Thanks. ---Shane

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #17  
By the way, I should add that everthing I am saying is not just from research but from my own experience. I do not have the new Brush Bull design. I have the older Woods medium duty cutter with the flat top and water-blocking cross baffles. All the smashes, all the dents, all the rings, all the rust, all the debris, all the water and snow pooling, all the frustration in trying to hose off the deck, all the bashing of the bent skirts with a sledge hammer to try to straighten them--all that is my life with my cutter.

I have loved it. Cutting brush is my favorite thing. If I get a Grand L, I will trade in for a Woods Brushbull 72", but I will miss the MD160 that has literally terraformed my property.

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #18  
If you run a 900 pound + cutter you may need some weight on the front. I leave my loader on my L4330. 1200 pounds on the back would be noticed! Consider the leverage that 300 more pounds of cutter will produce on the tractor.

My front end is a little light with the 286 on steep climbs, but nothing bad. 300 pounds more could require some weight in the bucket. But, thats only on steep slopes. I do pick the front end off the ground when I bush hog below my barn. Its pretty steep though and I do get some wheel spin in 4X4. Consider the weight if you have any steep hills. Not a real big deal, but when the tractor gets light on the front it drags the cutter hard against the ground as it rocks back. Thats when the directional brakes save the day. Going down is no fun at all.

The woods are a little heavy, but thats not a bad thing if you can handle the weight on your property.

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #19  
Actualy I was talking about the standard duty which is only 700 Lbs. The dealer I talked to this week end said my L 3830 would handle the Bush hog sq72 (650Lbs) better than the wood bb72 (700Lbs.) because he said the woods had most of its weight toward the rear. He did not have either one in stock but he had the Bush hog 286 (922Lbs) and the Wood bb720 (around 1100Lbs, not sure). My manual says the L3830 will handle a72 inch cutter at 926Lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If I know it could handle the 286 I would look at that one, though I did like the bb72 until he said that. ---Shane

/ Wood bb72 or Bush hog sq72 #20  
My 2 cents on the Woods brush hog.First of all I've been brush hogging my 2 fields since 93' with my Honda 5518 and Honda brush hog which is a little on the small side at just under 4'across.Never had a problem with either.Thinking a bigger brush hog could get the job done quicker I bought a Woods Standard Duty BB60 for my new Kioti DK35.I paid 925.00 for it from the dealer I bought the tractor from.I had been mowing for about 15 min. with it when I clipped the top of a rock.I looked back and the yoke had come off the gear box shaft.Sure enough I'd broke the shear bolt off.After trying everything,I could not get the yoke to slide back on to the shaft.I'd spent quite a bit of time at it when I decided to take my dremil tool and grind the insde of the yoke a little at a time till it finially slid back on.While standing on the back of the deck trying to slide the yoke back on my 200 lbs would buckle the deck in causing the paint to crack when it would buckle(real nice).I went back to mowing the next day after about a half hour I hit the top of an old stump and broke another sheer bolt.While putting a new one in I noticed the paint was actually melting on the gear box housing and coming off on my hands.Yes I checked to make sure the dealer had put enough oil in it.So with my experience to date with the Woods brush hog I'm not impressed with it.I would expect this from one of the cheaper brands but for the amount of money I spent on it I woud not expect these kind of issue's.I guess I won't be selling my Honda brush hog any time soon. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif