Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ?

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #81  
As a contrast...for us the holidays mean smoked fish and seafood...Always do a salmon filet and usually a bucket of prawns and as many oysters I can get in the room that's left on the smoke racks...

Also make a lot of jerky (the old fashioned way)

use primarily pecan wood...

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #82  
   / Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #83  
As a contrast...for us the holidays mean smoked fish and seafood...Always do a salmon filet and usually a bucket of prawns and as many oysters I can get in the room that's left on the smoke racks...

Also make a lot of jerky (the old fashioned way)

use primarily pecan wood...

I'm guessing you do a low and slow on that? Sounds really good. What temp/time does a salmon filet usually take if I were to try this?

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #84  
I'm guessing you do a low and slow on that? Sounds really good. What temp/time does a salmon filet usually take if I were to try this?
Yes low and slow...I try to keep the temp about 200*-210*...I usually brine the salmon for half an hour or so prior...6-8 hours on the smoker depending on the thickness of the filet...it is great when it's still warm but it's always better after it's chilled and firmed up...

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #85  
Must have put these on another thread. Smoked meat loaf. Best meat loaf I've ever had by a long shot. Instead of ketchup, I glazed at the end with an apricot amaretto mix.

Sauteed onions and minced garlic for a little bit before putting the mix together. Sausage, ground beef, sweet bell peppers, some pablanos for spice, onions and garlic, Italian bread crumbs. Formed patties. Can't remember what internal I went for, maybe 160 or 165. Took a few hours at 225.

Resized_20180826_160702_9190.jpeg

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #86  
Ditto on the smoked meatloaf.

It is a very big hit around here.

You can use 80/20 ground meat, because the fat drips away as it cooks. So, it's a great low cost meal.

I like glazing it with 12 BBQ sauce, and 1/2 ketchup.

IMG_1141.JPG

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #87  
What temp did you run for the 3 hour cook? I usually do the 3-2-1 on mine at 215 or 225. I'd like to find the sweet spot with a little more tenderness.
I was at 215 for two hours and 350 for one hour. This gave a finished internal temp of 185-190 and the meat was not fall apart tender, but easily freed from the bone. I have since tried the 3-2-1 (6 hour total) method and I think I like the quick method better. I like a little bit firmer ribs. Those done in the 3-2-1 came off in pieces - really done.

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #88  
Thanks! It was pretty delicious! :)

My father in law asked the same thing. Temperature is EVERYTHING!
Recently went to a local store where they had the Memphis Grills rep onsite. They did a Boston butt at 200 for 12 hours (overnight). They took a big, big spatula to get it off and then proceeded to take a set of tongs to just pull it apart - tender as it could be. Delicious!

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #89  
I was at 215 for two hours and 350 for one hour. This gave a finished internal temp of 185-190 and the meat was not fall apart tender, but easily freed from the bone. I have since tried the 3-2-1 (6 hour total) method and I think I like the quick method better. I like a little bit firmer ribs. Those done in the 3-2-1 came off in pieces - really done.

I do mine unwrapped, at 250F.

At 2.5 hours I start checking for doneness, by picking the rack up in the middle with tongs.

If they crack in the middle, when picked up, I consider them done. Usually, that is at 3-3.5 hours. But, thick slabs can take up to 5 hours.

That point gives tender ribs that still have a slight chew.

If you want them to fall apart, go 30 minutes longer.

/ Wood pellet BBQ smokers such as Traeger ? #90  
Must have put these on another thread. Smoked meat loaf. Best meat loaf I've ever had by a long shot. Instead of ketchup, I glazed at the end with an apricot amaretto mix.

Sauteed onions and minced garlic for a little bit before putting the mix together. Sausage, ground beef, sweet bell peppers, some pablanos for spice, onions and garlic, Italian bread crumbs. Formed patties. Can't remember what internal I went for, maybe 160 or 165. Took a few hours at 225.

View attachment 580777

Man, that looks like it is going to taste good. :licking: :licking: