Wood Splitting Question??

/ Wood Splitting Question?? #11  
You really should get a gauge on it. Now you have no idea where it is set, and can damage other thing.

/ Wood Splitting Question??
I plan on it. Can you tell me how to install?

Where to mount-on the Feed Line?
Do I need to drain any fluid first?
Use Teflon tape on fittings?
etc.?

/ Wood Splitting Question?? #13  
A tee on the base end if the cylinder would be where i'd put it.

There are 3 common types of fittings for hydraulics. Jic, o-ring, and npt. Only npt needs sealer, but not tape. Don't use tape on hydraulics.

Not sure what your splitter and hoses are. And you cannot just go to the plumbing section of a hardware or box store and get a tee. You need to make sure its a steel tee rated for hydraulic pressure.

/ Wood Splitting Question?? #14  
I mounted a guage like this photo. Mine is perminent. But all you need is a tee on the pressure line from the pump with a 1/4" port where you can attach the guage or a plug. Then you can use the guage as a test tool elsewhere.
I removed the 3/4" elbow and replaced it with a tee. Then added reducers to get down to 1/4" for the guage. On a splitter the fittings are typically NPT pipe threads.

SplitterPressureGauge.JPG

/ Wood Splitting Question?? #15  
On a splitter the fittings are typically NPT pipe threads.

Typically, yep.

Allthough you see alot of ORB fittings on the cylinders anymore.

My splitter I just made has NPT on the pump and valve, ORB on the cylinder, and all the hoses are JIC:confused2:

JIC fittings were the cheapest for the hoses. Thats typical. And since I needed elbows and reducers anyway for all the ports, Might as well make it so all the hoses were standard (and cheaper JIC)

Jodebg:thats a good picture on how to do the gauge. but you can really mount it anywhere on a pressure line if all you are doing is testing the pump. Just tee in wherever is convenient.

When you say add a tee to the press line...which line is this? I have 2 rubber hoses and one metal line that goes from the control valve to the cylinder.
Which line get the tee? Where do i buy the gauge and the fittings? Thanks.

/ Wood Splitting Question?? #17  
The metal line is a pressure line out of the valve but you probably don't want to change that. The rubber lines are flexable and easily moved enough to fit in a Tee. Your pump has two lines on it. One comes from the tank through a filter probably. It is the low pressure side feeding fluid to the pump. The other line from the pump is the pressure line and should go up to the valve.

Get the stuff you need online at SurplusCenter.com or DiscountHydraulicHose.com

DiscountHydraulicHose has a online tool that enables you to figure out what kind of fitting threads you have/need.

Thanks. If I understand this correctly, I don't cut the hose, but rather add a tee to the threaded end of the flexible hose?

/ Wood Splitting Question?? #19  
If you got a tee with barbed ends, so called, on the two straight thru ends and a threaded port on the tee port you could cut the hose. Barbed ends are for use with hose along with a clamp. But like everything else you need to get the right one for the hose you have. I have never used them so don't know more than that. I would get the number and mfg off the hose and call or email someone like Discount Hydraulic Hose and ask what fitting to use if you want to do it that way.
Or better still maybe someone right here on TBN can answer that question.

/ Wood Splitting Question?? #20  
Its hydraulic hose that likely runs 2500-3000psi. Dont cut it to insert a tee.

IF you did that, you would need to have fittings crimped back on the hose. OR by the threaded kind that are ~$25-$30 PER FITTING.

Pictures of your splitter would help a ton. And maybe someone else out there has a MTD25 ton splitter that knows what the fittings are and what the fitting size is. But either way, a picture of the splitter. In particular, the valve area. A picture like gordon posted in post #14 would help.