wood stove & ceiling fan

/ wood stove & ceiling fan #21  
Running the forced air furnace with the fan on continuously will allow distribution of warmer air to other areas of the house, will filter the air, and allow for some humidification (albeit somewhat less efficient humidification since the air would be cooler than the air coming across the heat exchangers that are working.) Put a cold air return near the wood stove and you may really get some heat movement.

/ wood stove & ceiling fan #22  
The best thing I bought to help run the wood stove was a temperature gage from TSC. Its got a magnet to attach to the chimney pipe. I keep mine on attached to the chimney but sitting on the stove top. With the gauge I know how hot the stove is and if I'm in a dangerous temp zone either to produce creasote or simply too hot.

We used to just burn with the air supply full open since we were worried about creasote. Once the stove gets going, which does not take long, we all but close the air supply which helps burn longer.

When starting in a cold chimney it does take awhile for the smoke to flow out the pipe. That is the only time I have had smoke ooze out of the stove. When starting the fire I will crack open the door to the stove to help the fire light up which gets the heat going and the chimney drawing.

/ wood stove & ceiling fan #23  
I added a 2nd thermostat to my furnace and installed it in the same room in my basement as the Buck Stove. In the winter I shut off the circuit breaker to the outside A/C compressor to keep it from running and set this thermostat to 80 degrees. When the temperature in the room hits 80 degrees the furnace fan kicks in and circulates the warm air throughout the house. When the Buck stove cools down the thermostat shuts off the furnace fan so it's not blowing cold air. Works great.

/ wood stove & ceiling fan #24  
In my house my furnace sits in a little alcove outside and we have an unheated crawlspace that all the ducts run through under the house. I found that running the furnace blowers to move the heat from the pellet stove around actually made the house colder. I think all the cold ductwork etc sucks up a lot of heat. I also only keep my house at 71f in the winter.

/ wood stove & ceiling fan #25  
Warm air naturally rises on it's own.
That's why you need a ceiling fan to pull that warm air back down to the floor where you are.

== L B ==