Wood working clamps

/ Wood working clamps
Thank you for everything guys. You have been very generous w your time, experience and knowledge.

To get started, I am in the process of doing the drawings of 3 different items: an outside coffee table, a small 1/2 round table and a combination open style cabinet/coffee table [inside]. All will be made of cedar. Once I have the designs, I will seek the best way to make the type cuts for joining the wood pieces.

Based on our discussions, I am going to immediately buy:
  • 3/4" pipes & 3/4" pipe clamps
  • 2-3 sizes of cauls
  • 20ft ratchet strap [ I have 4 16' straps now]
  • Make 4-6 wood clamps w wedges
  • F style-clamps
  • Get some used rubber innertubes
  • Good water-based wood glue
Again, any add'l info is always welcomed, and if I have left anything off this list that's an essential item, pls let me know? I believe from this point forward, I will buy the things I need as the application arises, but a 2.25HP 1/2" plunge router is in the making...

You guys have been great !!

/ Wood working clamps #42  
About the router I don’t like a big heavy duty hand held router. I’d get something little that still has a 1/2” collet for handheld use.

/ Wood working clamps #43  
I'm proud i got my collection of original Quick Grip clamps 20 years ago being i don''t see those available at present . There isn't much i can't clamp with a collection of 6" to 52" clamps . I'd have maybe 25 if the kids hadn't borrowed some :rolleyes: but i'm proud they are doing something constructive . Only 2 required to clamp a pic frame . I probably use those more for other jobs than woodworking .

/ Wood working clamps #44  
Thank you for everything guys. You have been very generous w your time, experience and knowledge.

To get started, I am in the process of doing the drawings of 3 different items: an outside coffee table, a small 1/2 round table and a combination open style cabinet/coffee table [inside]. All will be made of cedar. Once I have the designs, I will seek the best way to make the type cuts for joining the wood pieces.

Based on our discussions, I am going to immediately buy:
  • 3/4" pipes & 3/4" pipe clamps
  • 2-3 sizes of cauls
  • 20ft ratchet strap [ I have 4 16' straps now]
  • Make 4-6 wood clamps w wedges
  • F style-clamps
  • Get some used rubber innertubes
  • Good water-based wood glue
Again, any add'l info is always welcomed, and if I have left anything off this list that's an essential item, pls let me know? I believe from this point forward, I will buy the things I need as the application arises, but a 2.25HP 1/2" plunge router is in the making...

You guys have been great !!
The cauls you will have to make yourself.

/ Wood working clamps #46  
Have you thought about using a biscuit joiner?

/ Wood working clamps #47  
I have a bunch of clamps... but not enough. I started out making my own pipe clamps but they are heavy, awkward, and don't sit/stand well whether laying horizontally or vertically. Don't use them anymore. I highly recommend Bessey K clamps or knockoffs if you must. I have a nice collection of various length Bessey's purchased over the years. The way to go IMHO. If you position them well, you can rotate and 'stand' your project in various positions quite easily.

A handful or two of hand screw type wood clamps are handy for flatware clamping and edge bending.

Yes, the Bessey K's are expensive but you can build up your Arsenal over time and you will not regret it especially doing cabinet/bookcase work. Build a rack to display them on your shop wall.

/ Wood working clamps #48  
3/4 in. pipe clamp with stands and a homemade clamp That stands on it’s own.

Attachments

• 1A6A9F3B-7A9F-49A1-9FC0-4CAF3D472AD3.jpeg
    1A6A9F3B-7A9F-49A1-9FC0-4CAF3D472AD3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 77
  • A4CD91E9-0309-41DB-8FEB-A661AACC460B.jpeg
    A4CD91E9-0309-41DB-8FEB-A661AACC460B.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 70
   / Wood working clamps #49  
I have a bunch of clamps... but not enough. I started out making my own pipe clamps but they are heavy, awkward, and don't sit/stand well whether laying horizontally or vertically. Don't use them anymore. I highly recommend Bessey K clamps or knockoffs if you must. I have a nice collection of various length Bessey's purchased over the years. The way to go IMHO. If you position them well, you can rotate and 'stand' your project in various positions quite easily.

A handful or two of hand screw type wood clamps are handy for flatware clamping and edge bending.

Yes, the Bessey K's are expensive but you can build up your Arsenal over time and you will not regret it especially doing cabinet/bookcase work. Build a rack to display them on your shop wall.
I agree. I used to use pipe clamps, but since I started using K-bodys I don't think I've touched my pipe clamps. But dang kbody's have gotten expensive.

/ Wood working clamps
Thank you guys, appreciate your follow-up.

Yes, everything has gotten [real] expensive. My ranch drive is 120 miles, so w a truck, every time I go there to woodwork, I could have bought 2 $35 bits...might have to bring all my power tools home, but then I'd have to later fill out TONS of paper work. That would be my divorce papers the wife would immediately hand me....If it wasn't for almost a basketball team of daughters, I would be wagering either all my power tools and myself or wife and no power tools? Anyone have a good set of pens I can use ?