Wood working clamps

/ Wood working clamps #52  
Thank you guys, appreciate your follow-up.

Yes, everything has gotten [real] expensive. My ranch drive is 120 miles, so w a truck, every time I go there to woodwork, I could have bought 2 $35 bits...might have to bring all my power tools home, but then I'd have to later fill out TONS of paper work. That would be my divorce papers the wife would immediately hand me....If it wasn't for almost a basketball team of daughters, I would be wagering either all my power tools and myself or wife and no power tools? Anyone have a good set of pens I can use ?
tools show up in my shop...months or years later my wife might see them and ask if that tool is new......nope. I've had that tool for years. Since I've had it for a while, she doesn't get upset.

/ Wood working clamps #53  
I don't know that a biscuit jointer would be high on my list of tools to buy first. I have one and I use it every so often, but it doesn't get used nearly as much as other power tools...router, drill, sander, circular saw, jig saw I think I'd buy those before a biscuit jointer.

along with a full-sized plunge router, small trim router is very handy to have.

/ Wood working clamps #54  
Depending on what you're doing, another clamp idea is to use the carpet anti-skid waffle pad. It will keep things from sliding. I use it when routing small parts that I can't clamp. When you have some extra money and need to clamp irregular stuff there are vacuum bags.

Last edited:
   / Wood working clamps
Depending on what you're doing, another clamp idea is to use the carpet anti-skid waffle pad. It will keep things from sliding. I use it when routing small parts that I can't clamp. When you have some extra money and need to clamp irregular stuff there are vacuum bags.
thanks, I get the waffle pad, but how do you use a vacuum pad?

/ Wood working clamps #57  
A basic $15 pocket hole cutter is a great investment when counting pennys.

/ Wood working clamps #58  
When I first started out I was on a budget so my pipe clamps are 1/2". Once in a while I use a coupling. Since my clamps are using black pipe and I use a lot of oak, I NEVER let the oak touch the pipe. When you do black stains from the oak/glue/iron interacting result.

Doug in SW IA

/ Wood working clamps #59  
The vacuum bag is a heavy duty vinyl bag that you put what you want to clamp into - the entire project goes in. It handles irregular shapes easily. In the case of a 20 by 46 table top the bag has to be bigger than that. However, these are normally used for veneers where you need pressure on a large area or irregular shape.

Vacuum Bag Press.jpg

/ Wood working clamps #60  
tools show up in my shop...months or years later my wife might see them and ask if that tool is new......nope. I've had that tool for years. Since I've had it for a while, she doesn't get upset.
The same trick my wife uses on clothes and shoes. Doesn't wear them right away. ;)