Wooden Fence Posts

/ Wooden Fence Posts
OP
M

Medic6340

Tractor
TYM T25
We installed 40 9’ reclaimed railroad ties 3’ deep in 1 day including adding 1 bag of concrete mix to each Post hole. Buried them flush the next morning in a couple hours. Monday morning we stretched 6’ chain link with the old Ferguson.
It kinda looks like I’ll be buying the PTO auger sooner then later

/ Wooden Fence Posts
OP
M

Medic6340

Tractor
TYM T25
And here I'm about to put in a bunch of cedar posts once I get them cut down.... :cool:
But in my rocky ground it will be backhoe time.
When I dug my basement (23 years ago) there wasn’t a rock big enough to even notice in the pile of fill from the 36x58 hole 7feet in the ground

/ Wooden Fence Posts
OP
M

Medic6340

Tractor
TYM T25
   / Wooden Fence Posts #16  

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I recently put in a small number of tee posts around the vegetable garden (wife's idea to keep the deer out).

I used a 5 foot pinch bar to make a hole. Maybe four or five "plunges" went as deep as required. Stepping on the plate to get it into the dry ground (sturdy shoe soles) and a few hits with a 3 pound hammer and all was well..

We have way to much stone here in Vermont. about half the holes hit something less than a foot down that reqired a two handled post hole digger to ferret out. One location, after a couple of strikes with the point, had the bar go down 3 and 1/2 feet . Must have been a rotted tree stump or the like. I'll remember to keep equipment off there! ;-)

/ Wooden Fence Posts #17  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
You have hundreds of wooden posts to install. You will soon learn if the auger or a pounder is the way to go. This will NOT be a small project.

I installed a four wire - barbed wire fence around my 80 acres. It is one and a half miles of fencing. Some 665 T-145 steel posts. All driven in with a manual pounder. Up the hill - down over the cliff and into a valley - around many meadows - - it WAS NOT all flat, level ground. It took me the better part of a year - working every evening. Fortunately my 80 acres is a pure rectangle - 1320 x 2640.

That was in 1982 and it is still standing - straight, tight and true. I check it twice a year and do any required maintenance.

Good luck ...............

Last edited:
   / Wooden Fence Posts
OP
M

Medic6340

Tractor
TYM T25
I never dreamed it was a small project, so was hoping to find a faster solution then augering 200 holes. But it seems like that is going to be my best plan of action

/ Wooden Fence Posts #19  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Your posts will be Eastern Cedar. If they are or can be pointed - I would definitely try a manual pounder. From reading many posts here on TBN there are, at least, two difficulties with the auger method.
1- getting the auger to go in straight( using PTO driven auger). Not so much a problem if its a hand operated gas driven auger
2- if its a PTO driven auger - getting the tractor/auger properly placed

If I had to use a PTO driven auger to install all my T-posts - - I'd still be working on the installation. After more than 40 years.

For that matter - there are numerous locations along my fence line where it is not possible to get a tractor. This is why I went 100% manual pounder. The tractor was used to transport the steel posts to areas - as close as possible.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #20  

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 3040, New Holland 1530, Oliver 1850
You have hundreds of wooden posts to install. You will soon learn if the auger or a pounder is the way to go. This will NOT be a small project.

I installed a four wire - barbed wire fence around my 80 acres. It is one and a half miles of fencing. Some 665 T-145 steel posts. All driven in with a manual pounder. Up the hill - down over the cliff and into a valley - around many meadows - - it WAS NOT all flat, level ground. It took me the better part of a year - working every evening. Fortunately my 80 acres is a pure rectangle - 1320 x 2640.

That was in 1982 and it is still standing - straight, tight and true. I check it twice a year and do any required maintenance.

Good luck ...............
Was that for livestock or to keep people out?