Wooden tractor Chassis

/ Wooden tractor Chassis #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
I have an old crossley 1938 engine that Im restoring. It works, at least it did 2 years ago. I often thought of making a wooden tractor with it. Wooden chassis, make it look old and rustic. has anyone seen such a thing? I have a couple sawmills.

/ Wooden tractor Chassis #2  
I've never seen it, but it could turn out pretty cool if done right. Use a good, hard wood if you can find it.

/ Wooden tractor Chassis #3  
A distant relative made his own tractor with a stationary engine in the early 1930's... it was hickory for the frame and chain drive.

I was able to see it last summer when I visited the farm of Mom's second cousin...

He built the whole thing from salvage parts and hand tools.

/ Wooden tractor Chassis #5  
A tractor dressed in wood sounds like it would be better matched with a steam donkey engine.

With that Crossley, I'd think iron plate and rivets would be more appropriate attire.

/ Wooden tractor Chassis
you mean the look of the crossley would be more suited with a steal riveted look? It has probably 30 inche flywheels or larger. .....yeah it probably would. I though about cutting two heavy beams for chassis, im not sure. Would like to see some of the tractors mentioned though. Or any pictures.

/ Wooden tractor Chassis
Yeah, something like that. put a steering system on it, and a seat, and some kind of differential system. Just a thought overall, i wouldnt be able to do it until next year even if I wanted. I have never been to any tractor shows, would love to see some of those old tractors and how they were set up then. I see alot of videos with those rumely oil pulls and such. Maybe I will have to take a trip to one of these shows for ideas.

/ Wooden tractor Chassis #9  
An excavator sub we hired once (35 years ago) had a equipment trailer he made with locust rails and crossmembers. Had steel only at the corners and at the hitch - tongue and all was wood. It sure looked cool, but I don't know how long it lasted.
There's been lots of stuff made out of wood over the years, so joint designs are pretty well tested by now. Pictures please, when you get going.
Jim

/ Wooden tractor Chassis
No kidding.... Yeah it would be interesting to see.