Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #31  
Probably my biggest complaint is that no bolt heads were the same size as the nut that went on the bolt. Always one millimeter off. This created a lot of switching out of tools, which we had plenty of. I cannot imagine why anything would be designed that way. We both had impact drivers, wrenches and sockets but even when you were doing 30-40 bolts the same size the access to them was always different so you were constantly changing sockets and wrenches back and forth.
I think they do that so that someone with only one wrench set can put it together (and not use his rusty old adjustable wrench).

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability.
I think they do that so that someone with only one wrench set can put it together (and not use his rusty old adjustable wrench).
I thought about that but good grief an extra wrench and a couple of sockets would solve that problem. Maybe another $30?

I guess they might think that if I'm so cheap that I bought a mill that I have to put together myself that I might be too cheap to buy an extra wrench.:LOL:

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #33  
Probably my biggest complaint is that no bolt heads were the same size as the nut that went on the bolt. Always one millimeter off. This created a lot of switching out of tools, which we had plenty of. I cannot imagine why anything would be designed that way. We both had impact drivers, wrenches and sockets but even when you were doing 30-40 bolts the same size the access to them was always different so you were constantly changing sockets and wrenches back and forth.

Thats pretty normal for metric bolts and is not exclusive to Woodland Mills. Us bolts in 7/16's and 9/16's are that way. Bolt head is smaller than the nut.

Thats pretty normal for metric bolts and is not exclusive to Woodland Mills. Us bolts in 7/16's and 9/16's are that way. Bolt head is smaller than the nut.
Does anyone know why? I'm just curious.

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #35  
Does anyone know why? I'm just curious.
Yes. A typical wrench set only has one wrench of each size. If the nut and bolt were the same size, you couldn't put a wrench on both of them at the same time. That's why they're different sizes.

Also, has to do with how much surface is needed to hold. If the nut were the same size as the bolt head, it would be a fairly thin nut, OR a fairly large bolt head.

Yes. A typical wrench set only has one wrench of each size. If the nut and bolt were the same size, you couldn't put a wrench on both of them at the same time. That's why they're different sizes.
If that is actually the reason it sounds like the worst reason ever. Most people who are going to actually assemble something will have a wrench and a socket.

I had a funny thought when I saw a Wood-Mizer video and there was a decal on the mill that said "Built in USA". I thought, heck, my Woodland Mills saw was built in the USA too...........because I built it!

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #37  
Norwood did not enter into the low-end market until a few years ago when they introduced their Frontier lineup. Check this one out:

Frontier Sawmills – Products

The similarities to the Woodland design and construction is uncanny, you'd almost swear it was a Woodland with yellow instead of green paint.
After re-reading your post today, I think I now see the confusion...

You see it as Frontier copied Woodland. BUT, the part you are missing is, the Lumbermate (designed and built by Norwood) came BEFORE the Woodland OR Frontier!

Woodland copied the Lumbermate, and Frontier also copied the Lumbermate, BUT the Lumbermate was THEIR own mill, so they copied themselves.

The Lumbermate came first and was dropped when Norwood came out with an even bigger mill, (todays design) and brought back the Lumbermate design as a lower cost mill built in china.

The whole idea of a homeowner BSM got started with the Mark 3 in the early 90's, like 91 or 92 by my friend Peter Dale.

SR

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #38  
If that is actually the reason it sounds like the worst reason ever. Most people who are going to actually assemble something will have a wrench and a socket.

I had a funny thought when I saw a Wood-Mizer video and there was a decal on the mill that said "Built in USA". I thought, heck, my Woodland Mills saw was built in the USA too...........because I built it!
Now you sound like John Deere, they "assemble" a tractor and call it "building" a tractor. lol

BTW, both Woodland and Norwood are Canadian company's... (someone asked me that)

SR

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #39  
Is it really that important who made what first?

/ Woodland Mills sawmill trailer stability. #40  
Is it really that important who made what first?
It is to the company that came up with it...

I bet it is to Peter Dale, as he holds many patents and has to continue to defend them...

SR