Snowblower Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #1  

hamdog

Bronze Member
I have an older Woods SS74 rear mounted snowblower that I purchased used 3-4 yrs ago. It never worked great since I got it, only blows snow 5ft and chute plugs up constantly then if not paying attention it will cause the main auger shear pin to break. The past two years it has sat in storage and I use my front mount push blade (purchased used) which has worked great for the most part.

I would like to start using a snowblower again so I contacted Woods about the issue and they said that they had performance issues with the 3-blade blower prop and to purchase there new 4 blade blower prop with no guarantees.

Before spending the money on the upgrade has anyone else experienced the same performance issues, if so what was the fix? Is the upgrade worth the $300-$400? Or should I put towards a new blower $5000-$6000

And yes I run the rpm’s of the tractor at pto speed. Tractor is a Kubota MX5400.

Any help would be appreciated thank you!

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #2  
Check the fan to body clearance. Might have to make some heavy rubber blade extenders.

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance
There is probably 1/4-1/2” gap. See attached picture. I should see if the new 4 blade propeller clearances are tighter. Thanks

IMG_0988.JPG

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #4  
I have the 60in version and the shoot really necks down alot where it pivots. I prob gained 20-30% more open shoot by cutting that metal out. Take a look down the shoot.

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #5  
I can't give specific advice about the 74 inch blower, but I have a woods blower, SB54S and smaller tractor. My blower is 2 sizes smaller than yours and it is a newer model with the 4 blade fan. My blower has no issue throwing the snow 30 to 40 feet. Even with wet and heavy snow it still does a fair job and I've only seen less than 10 feet on the sloppiest of slushy snow.

If it were me I'd try replacing the fan.

A couple of things. One is that I'm sure most people are aware of is that have to be careful how fast I try to push through the snow. If the augers are feeding to much snow into the fan too fast that can bog down it down.

The other, I know that you said you run at PTO speed... I keep mine at PTO speed while it is actively working on moving snow, so when I'm not moving snow my tractor is actually running above PTO speed.

You posted your picture while I was typing. My blades also have about 1/4" clearance and that does not affect it.

But looking at your picture I would double check the depth of the fan before trying a replacement. Your fan and the fan opening do not look as deep as on my smaller blower. That could potentially be another performance issue. It could be different on the bigger blower but mine is 6 1/2" deep and it's hard to tell from images but the fan on the new 74" model looks deeper than mine.

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #6  
1/4" - 1/2" gap is too big. My 25 year old agro trend blower will still pickup a nickel, so the gap is less than 1/8". I think your issue is more than the fan gap, but it certainly is a factor.

Thanks everyone. I will verify the fan blade depth to see. The manufacturer sent me the 4 blade model number, so I assumed it would fit. But you know what they say when you assume…

Does anyone currently own a 3 blade ss74 that did some upgrades to improve the blower efficiency.

Thanks again.

/ Woods SS74 snowblower bad performance #9  
It could be a different part number for the old model. The part number for the SB74C is 1033218

Yes the part number they gave me for 4blade upgrade is 1033746 which is different than the SB series. They said this is an upgrade blower for the SS series because of the poor performance issues with the 3-blade prop.