Woodworking Tools

/ Woodworking Tools #1  

Pks

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SU, Cub Cadet 1430, Hustler Super-Z 66in, Vermeer 1250
I tried to search for a thread that covered this topic bus was unsuccessful. So please excuse me if you've heard this before.

What are the good woodworking tools and brands?

What are the brands, models and types that you folks have good experiences with? I'm going to set myself up so I can learn woodworking while creating built-in shelving and cabinets.

If I were to get just 3 major tools (e.g. table saw, drill press, router & table), what would you recommend?

/ Woodworking Tools #2  
You might want to post this on Countrybynet, under the tools forum.

"If I were to get just 3 major tools (e.g. table saw, drill press, router & table), what would you recommend? "

Router & table
Table saw
either a drill press, bandsaw or dust collection system.

Bandsaw is good for re-sawing thick boards into thinner boards.
Drill press good for drilling, small-scale drum sanding.
Dust collection system, well, self-explanatory.

You'll need a good orbital or belt sander and a palm (finishing) sander.

It's another expensive hobby /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif like tractoring!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tell friends and family that gift certificates make good presents for you!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck....

/ Woodworking Tools #3  
If portability is a concern I really like my Dewalt DW744 portable table saw with the side and outfeed extensions. The Delta contractors saws and Unisaws are higher precision than any portable saw, but they're more money and harder to take to the job site. I wanted a cabinet saw but couldn't get past the portability issue and didn't want to buy two (ya gotta store 'em somewhere).

I would think you would add a miter saw to your list. I like my Porter Cable 10" dual-laser 3802L (IIRC) compound miter saw a LOT.

I have no suggestions for drill presses or router tables.

/ Woodworking Tools #4  
My first concern would be a quality tablesaw or cabinet saw. I can heartily recommend Grizzly's cabinet saws.
www.grizzly.com
You'll find that they are a great value with good customer service if you need it. They will also provide you with names of buyers of products in your area so that you can check with other users.

/ Woodworking Tools #5  
Here is a good woodworking forum. www.forums.woodnet.net/. Maybe they can help you. Some of the things to consider are usage, budget, noise and work space. As mentioned above Grizzly has some pretty good tools for a reasonable price. Dewalt, Delta, Porter Cable, Jet, Powermatic, Panasonic are just a few of the companies that make a good tool. Every woodworker will have their favorite brand and horror story about the tools that have let them down. Good luck!

/ Woodworking Tools #6  
I would say that it depends on your skill level and size of your bank account. There are several good brands of woodworking tools out there. Delta, Grizzly, Jet, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Makita.... I try to purchase tools that will last me some time. I presently own Porter Cable (router, sander, drill), Jet (Cabinet Saw), Skil (Circular Saw), Makita (Sander), DeWalt (drill) and a Shopsmith Mark V. There is no reason other than brand loyalty to have only one brand in your workshop.

/ Woodworking Tools #7  
If it has a cord, I like Milwaukee.

If it is cordless I like DeWalt.

My DeWalt cordless drill fell 8' off a ladder, hit the concrete, landed in a water puddle and still works as good as ever.

If you get cordless tools, get a common battery system and multiple batteries and chargers.

Good Luck

Yooper Dave

/ Woodworking Tools #8  
You said three major tools for the construction of built-in cabinets and shelving.

1) Table saw or radial arm saw (at least 10").
2) Table top planer.
3) Shaper or router & table.

Read tool reviews to get your machine specifics. Jet makes a good table saw. Makita and DeWalt make a good 12" table top planer. Delta makes a good 3/4" shaper. Many manufactures produce a quality 1/2" router. Save or sneak in the handhelds as future gifts. The planer will allow you to work with rough cut lumber and it will keep stock thickness uniform. Woodworking can be a gratifying hobby.

/ Woodworking Tools #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would say that it depends on your skill level and size of your bank account. There are several good brands of woodworking tools out there. Delta, Grizzly, Jet, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Makita.... I try to purchase tools that will last me some time. I presently own Porter Cable (router, sander, drill), Jet (Cabinet Saw), Skil (Circular Saw), Makita (Sander), DeWalt (drill) and a Shopsmith Mark V. There is no reason other than brand loyalty to have only one brand in your workshop. )</font>

I would second those opinions except the last comment. In the case of cordless tools, using one brand allows you to swap batteries at will.

I have several brands: Laguna bandsaw, jet tablesaw, Delta 15" planer, Delta jointer, Jet dust collector, Porter-Cable and Bosch routers, some DeWalt cordless tools and a DeWalt 12" miter saw. The miter saw is the only tool I'm unhappy with.

Pete

/ Woodworking Tools #10  
Which Dewalt saw do you have? I like mine; 12" slider...