Work in progress, office/Storm shelter...

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #1  

Chuck K.

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 M59 w/thumb
While thinking of ideas for a bathroom with shower for my new shop I figured why not make it a storm shelter/safe room beings we live on the Texas gulf coast and evacuating for a hurricane is not an option..
I considered solid concrete walls but that was too expensive. I am not a fan of cider blocks even when filled with mortar. I found industrial CMU split faced blocks that seemed much stronger than a cinder block and weighed in at ~37# each vs ~25# for same size cinder block on craigs list for 2.00 each. An online calculator helped me figure how many blocks needed.

I dont know how I would have unloaded the blocks off the truck if the M59 would not been able to, the truck did not come with a "spyder" forklift...

Aug13BRICKSFOROFFICE_0001.jpg

I did have a close call due to a low tire while lifting a pallet of blocks that almost caused me to ruin a pair of underware...:eek:

M59CMUBlocks.jpg

Watching the brick layers work was impressive.. I am very glad I did not attempt this myself.

HunkerBunker01.jpg

HunkerBunker02.jpg

HunkerBunker03.jpg

HunkerBunker04.jpg

The idea I came up for the roof was pretty much over kill but the brick layers had no problem handling my request and set 4 8" long by 1/2" diam. J bolts for each beam. I got the 24# 8" I beams for fair price. I use the 8" so they would be even atop the wall for the upcoming .250" steel plate roof.

BigJoeCuttingIBeam.jpg

HunkerBunkerRoofBeams.jpg

More pixs to come as progress allows... I wont attach the pictures of the make shift boom pole that we used to set the I beams in place for fear of being tar and feathered by the Saftey Police :)

hmm seems the redneck boom pole is in one picture...;)

Last edited:
   / Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #2  
That's an interesting project. I often wonder why more folks don't do more to prepare themselves for nasty weather. Thankfully, this year the hurricane season has been a non-event for the US.
Dave.

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter...
I agree Dave, it very well could be another 25 years before we are hit with another major hurricane and that would be great but after hearing some of the horror stories of the evacuation of the S/E Texas prior to hurricane Rita there is no way I will evacuate. The reinforced office will cost about twice as much as a wood framed office but for peace of mind I personally think its worth it.

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #4  
I agree Dave, it very well could be another 25 years before we are hit with another major hurricane and that would be great but after hearing some of the horror stories of the evacuation of the S/E Texas prior to hurricane Rita there is no way I will evacuate. The reinforced office will cost about twice as much as a wood framed office but for peace of mind I personally think its worth it.

Since you wanted an office anyways, the savings/peace of mind from not having to evacuate just one time would pay for the extra costs I think. Cheap at the price. :)
Dave.

Managed to make a little progress to the office on my days off. While tightening the anchor bolts I was not pleased how easily a few of the galvenized j-bolts nuts stripped nor the look of void area.

We decided to grout them in for looks and added strength.

BoltedBeams.jpg

FormsGroutBeams.jpg

GroutedBeams.jpg

BathroomProgress2.jpg

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #6  
Put some plywood on top, and some formwork around the edges and pour a 6" concrete (reinforced) deck. That will never go anywhere and best of all you can store a bunch of stuff on top of it.

And I need to warn you of the fire hazard of exposed spray on insulation. It has been said before, but here it is again http://www.foamrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/foambook_ch5-fire_and_foam.pdf

This is written by someone who did the work and believed the fire retardent claims, until his clients started having very dangerous fires that could have resulted in deaths. It is a sobering article and the solution to the fire hazard is well known - it needs a proper fire barrier that cuts off the air supply.

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #7  
Interesting project. I've often wondered what I'd do if a tornado was heading my way. Right now, the downstairs bathtub is our best option, but not really a great option.

I'm curious to see how you finish it off.

Eddie

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #8  
Chuck:

I like your idea and I second the reinforced concrete ceiling over your safe room. 1/4" plate is stout stuff for mere mortal humans; but I suspect hurricanes and tornadoes would just laugh at it.

I like the spray in insulation as that should insulate far better than batt fiberglass, and it sounds like your getting good advice to cover it with something to starve any potential fires of a fuel source.

Keep the pictures coming.

/ Work in progress, office/Storm shelter... #9  
Very well done & it's an idea I have been kicking around for my basement. The safe room could also double as a gun safe. Having the throne in there is a big bonus!
Depending on how long you might be in there you may want to store some water. If the power is out, you will only have one flush(yikes).

The weak point will be the door and it's frame....what kind of door...homemade steel plate, welded to a steel homemade steel frame? I can't tell you how many storm rated windows and doors that I saw laying everywhere after Hurricane Andrew. All of them still had the storm shutters attached to the frame! The door should open in to keep from being trapped by debris.

I agree on pouring the roof with concrete....simple and very effective.

RD

Thanks for the compliments and input. Unfortunately it seems I believed the sales pitch that the closed cell foam would stop burning if the flame source was removed. After reading that information I now have my doubts. I have quite a bit of 5/8 sheetrock in the shop I may look into using it in the shop instead of the up coming house.

The concrete roof is an interesting idea but to be honest I am already over budget so bad on the shop project in general I am not sure if it will happen. I realize it would only take a couple of yards but I know from experience pump trucks are expensive. Although it is only シ plate the span between the beams is less than 5遅 11 I plan to weld some healthy tacks to the overhead beams. I have enough steel plate I may double it?mmmm

The door opening inward is how it was installed just for the reasons mentioned. Some folks pointed out it would be stronger opening out ward but my concern of it being block by some debris caused me to install it as it is. I do not recall the gauge of the door and frame. We started off with a normal industrial 3? wide door and decided to move up a couple gauges on both the frame and door.

Last edited: