Work Pants

/ Work Pants #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
Jeff posted a durable cotton shirt in another thread so I thought I'd post the same, but pants. I haven't found any good khaki cargo pants in the last 8 years or more. Cherokee made some good ones that Target carried, but not any longer. I've been buying used jeans from Goodwill but these are generally not cut correctly and I really like the pockets on cargo pants. These are 100% cotton and built to last. Very comfortable and I have not noticed them shrinking after 3 or 4 turns through the washer/dryer.

The pockets are huge, the flaps have snaps and the knees are reinforced.

These "Wrangler Ranger" are found at Walmart. Buy them online (free shipping for orders over $30 or $35) and you can easily return them if you need another size or if you don't like them.

These are relaxed fit and built to last. When you take these out of the washer, they nearly stand on their own. :LOL:

I ordered a pair of the shorts today. I'll get 4 more if they are just like the pants.

Wrangler Ranger Cargo Pant

Walmart link..
Wrangler Men's Workwear Ranger Cargo Pant - Walmart.com

/ Work Pants #2  
I'm old and fat with no legs (short inseam) so I just buy from Haband. Cheap and comfortable.

/ Work Pants #3  
There are reasons bib overalls have been the working man's britches for over 100 years.
1. No belt to cinch around your stomach, like you were a horse
2. Roomy pockets

In some manner, manufacturers are behind the times in the way they cut bibs. A pocket for a folding rule. Who carries a folding rule any more ? And another pocket for pliers. Give me a break. There should be "snap" pocket for a phone. And cargo pockets. Instead, we get a loop from which to hang a hammer.

For the Amish and like (I suppose) some manufacturers (Round House) offer a fly with buttons. That occasional cool breeze is mighty refreshing.

At the end of the day, hang the bibs on a peg on the wall. Next morning, a fresh clean shirt and you're good to go.

Long wearing and 100% cotton are oxymoronic terms. Bibs can be found with polypropylene - the trade calls them "twill". Cooler in the summer than cotton bibs. Bib ads frequently include their weights - 10.5 to 12oz., with 12 oz. being the heaviest, strongest.

/ Work Pants #4  
The "wild ass" logger pants from Baileys are great (except for the name). You can get them in double front which are super durable though hot in the summer. The material is much thicker than modern Levis and they last much longer and they cost less.

They come with buttons for suspenders but if you prefer to use a belt the buttons can easily be cut off with small bolt cutters.

/ Work Pants #5  
I like the ”Weatherproof” work pants at Costco. They are pretty tough and lined with a fleecy fabric. You will NOT have cold legs. Outer layer can get damp, even a bit wet and your legs stay dry. They come in work colors. Good roomy pockets and you can’t beat the price.
I have buying them for a few years.

/ Work Pants #7  
I wore jeans this past summer and they got heavy and soaked in sweat. Very uncomfortable.

I found some used work pants (link below) for about 7 or 8 bucks a pair. Good shape, lightweight, wash out clean from diesel fuel and the sawdust. I bought 2 pairs and think they will outlast me.

May not be trendy but great for working outdoors.

/ Work Pants #8  
I like the Gravel Gear pants from Northern Tool.

I used to wear overalls but not any more, my back hurts when I wear them. Something about them changes the way I stand.

/ Work Pants #9  
Oh, and I learned recently that cargo pants are completely out of style, which is why they've gotten hard to find. Only old men wear them, I'm told.

/ Work Pants #10  
I like the Gravel Gear pants from Northern Tool.

I used to wear overalls but not any more, my back hurts when I wear them. Something about them changes the way I stand.
I’ve pretty much switched over to Gravel Gear pants also. I like the side pockets for a knife, inspection light and a pair of cutters. The ones I get have two pockets on each side and NO hammer loop. Back pockets are big enough but not as big as back pockets on Dickies or Carhartt carpenter pants. They are very comfortable and useful. It would be good if they came in regular Unwashed cotton duck.

The price is right.

My wife complains about them whenever we go anywhere. So that’s a plus.