Worklight brands and sizes

/ Worklight brands and sizes #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
I have a post in the Projects section about a simple little worklight bracket I made. While test mounting the lights I had bought from Walmart, I realized they were smaller than I wanted. They were labeled as 3"x5" on the package, but the lens was actually 2.5"x4.25". Ok, that sounds close to 3x5 until you do the math and find that a true 3x5 lens gives you 50% more reflector. I returned them.
I decided to upgrade to quality lights so I bought 2 Hobbs 4"x6" from my dealer. They had 3"x5" too, but for the few dollar price difference I liked the larger size. These are made in the USA, are true 4"x6" lenses, and are sealed beam lenses rather than the flimsy design of some others. More money but no comparison in the quality.
I saw another brand that is made in the USA too. The quality was good, but it looked to be a 3x5 lens in a 4x6 frame with an wide plastic border to make up the difference. It was labeled as a 4x6.
This all sounds petty, I know, but I hate to be ripped off. Buy which ever brand you like best, but be aware the labels are not necessarily accurate. In the end I paid less per square inch of reflector with the Hobbs than with the Walmart import. Not sure that matters much, but the quality and design difference sure does. If your dealer doesn't sell the Hobbs brand, Messicks site does and they have a fair price on them.

/ Worklight brands and sizes #2  
So what are a pair of Hobbs going for? I bought some cheap Harbor Freight ones that are very cheaply made. I'm not sure how long they will last. I would also like some lights that have a more flood pattern rather then the straight focused beam. What are the Hobbs?

Craig

/ Worklight brands and sizes
I bought mine from my Case dealer, and they carried 3x5 and 4x6 in flood and trapezoid lamp patterns. They also carried the round flood light. Most of the lights were $22 - $32. Tractor Work Lights also carries Hobbs, along with at least one other brand.
Hammy, since you have 4 new lights on your tractor, you could try 2 of the better lights to see how they compare.

/ Worklight brands and sizes #5  
Ford850, great idea! I just might do that.

Craig

/ Worklight brands and sizes #6  
How are you guys mounting these? I'm not real keen on drilling holes in my ROPS and the lights at the Deere dealer either need to be fender mounted or would require one hole to insert the bolt and another opposite to reach the bolt. There's a kit for the 3XXX that mounts to the flashers that avoids this.

/ Worklight brands and sizes
Millalien said:
How are you guys mounting these? I'm not real keen on drilling holes in my ROPS and the lights at the Deere dealer either need to be fender mounted or would require one hole to insert the bolt and another opposite to reach the bolt. There's a kit for the 3XXX that mounts to the flashers that avoids this.
Millalien,
I have a post in the Projects section about no-drill Worklight Brackets. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/114640-worklight-brackets.html
They worked great for me, and they cost me less than $5 per bracket. They can be moved to almost anywhere on the ROPS, and take no special tools to make. After having them on and off a couple times (when I upgraded my lights) I learned I could probably simplify them even more. If your ROPS is 2x2 or 2x3 these would be a quick solution and they look good too.

/ Worklight brands and sizes #8  
Does anybody know the wattage of Peterson PAR36 lamps? They have some 507's on sale at the local Lowes and I wanted to put a couple on my Kubota 7800 but don't want 55w bulbs as they would tax my dynamo.