Worn Tie Rod Ends

/ Worn Tie Rod Ends
Careful with those loose tie rod ends. I lost one, unexpectedly as I was doing some loader work last year on a slope. It’s not pretty when one tire just buries itself against the axle and you lose complete control of steering….

I lost some sleep thinking “what if that happened at road speed near cars on the road”?
I’m thinking I wouldn’t be typing this right now if it did.
I asked my dealer about where they are most likely to fail and he told me they have not see one separate at the swivel joint but have had a few come in fractured between the joint and knuckle. This would make sense since the newer ones are much beefier in this area.

Where exactly did yours fail? did the joint separate or did the steel fracture?

/ Worn Tie Rod Ends #14  
I asked my dealer about where they are most likely to fail and he told me they have not see one separate at the swivel joint but have had a few come in fractured between the joint and knuckle. This would make sense since the newer ones are much beefier in this area.

Where exactly did yours fail? did the joint separate or did the steel fracture?
Mine failed in the socket. It got wallowed out and popped off.
Scary

/ Worn Tie Rod Ends #15  
I was doing my seasonal maintenance on a 3 year old 3620H and found both tie rod ends are loose at the ball coupling. Tractor has 250 hours and I have been relatively careful about not overloading the front end, turning to the stops and not turning while the tractor is stationary but they are still very loose. Talked with the dealer and found out this is only a 2 year warranty part and out of warranty for me. There is a beefed up factory replacement but they are $300+ per side which seems very over priced but not surprising in this current economic environment.

Has any one found an acceptable after market replacement that is less expensive? I know there have been a lot of broken parts probably from a combination of abuse and undersized design which is why the newer parts are beefed up. Thanks.
My tie rod ends and upper plates were replaced under warranty. The tie rod holes in the upper turning plate were egged out of round, but I thought the tie rods appeared normal. The newer pins in the tie rod ends are substantially larger as is the plate.

/ Worn Tie Rod Ends #16  
...Has any one found an acceptable after market replacement that is less expensive? I know there have been a lot of broken parts probably from a combination of abuse and undersized design which is why the newer parts are beefed up. Thanks.
I overlooked this part of your post, sorry. They probably do not offer an aftermarket plate. Since this plate is in a down and dirty location I personally would not chance an aftermarket part due to the possibility of tolerance variations. If the top seal leaks, you'll have water and debris in the axle, same with the sealing of the lower flange if the upper plate is out of specs. Just my dos centavos that might be priceless.

/ Worn Tie Rod Ends
I overlooked this part of your post, sorry. They probably do not offer an aftermarket plate. Since this plate is in a down and dirty location I personally would not chance an aftermarket part due to the possibility of tolerance variations. If the top seal leaks, you'll have water and debris in the axle, same with the sealing of the lower flange if the upper plate is out of specs. Just my dos centavos that might be priceless.
I appreciate the info Zork. I have seen the replacement factory part and it is "beefier" than the tie rod that is on my 2021 model. I'm guessing the failure rate was/is high and pushed them to redesign. I'm going to replace both rod ends at the end of this season assuming they don't fail before then. I'm trying to minimize the steering loading by only turning while moving and not going to the stops.

/ Worn Tie Rod Ends #18  
If you replace them be sure to grease them before installing. Might be able to sneak a blunt grease needle under the rubber boot.

Was disappointed that the newer of my tractors didn’t have grease zerks at these points and little if no grease OEM. Used a sharp grease needle to pierce the relative heavy rubber boot and fill with grease. A little grease goes a long way to prevent wear. Repeated after 500 hours and could tell there was still good grease at the joint. . No damage to the boot from injection points.

Some have added grease zerks. Much easier off the tractor than on.

Injected moly grease thru the boots for various constant velocity axle joints on many vehicles and ATVs. Have never had to replace joints after doing this.