Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp?

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #31  
Chris,
Thanks for the response.

The only reason I can think of, is a pto mounted grass/leaf collection system that operates off the rear pto. Trac-Vac offers such a system. Kubota also offers this set up for the BX line.
Eliminates the need to maintain another motor...

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #32  
I guess that PTO selection is an evolution thing.

On my 1990? B2150 there is a high-speed PTO position in which both mid and rear PTO spin at their highest speed, and there is a low speed position in which they BOTH spin at their lowest speed.

My dealer also mentioned that the BX has all three PTO options: mid-only, rear-only, and simulatneous mid & rear.

Kelvin

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #33  
The 2410 can operate rear only, mid only or mid and rear together--why--beats me. The BX can also. The 2410 has a two lever PTO, the BX has a single lever PTO with the three aforementioned choices. The two lever PTO on the 2410, one for the rear--on or off and one for the mid--on or off and thus both can be on at the same time. Confused? J

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #34  
<font color=blue>On my 1990? B2150 there is a high-speed PTO position in which both mid and rear PTO spin at their highest speed, and there is a low speed position in which they BOTH spin at their lowest speed</font color=blue>

Same thing on my 1995 B7100; even came with a little "L" bracket to block the lever so it couldn't accidentally be put in the high speed position. And since I didn't have a mid-mount mower, the high speed was never used. I always wanted to see what my tiller would do on the high speed, but never had nerve enough to try it./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #35  
Hey if you can afford to upgrade, then why not.

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #36  
Going back to original post regarding whether to upgrade from a B1700 to a B2400 (or B2410), it sounds like it would be a good move as soon as the price differential is small enough to suit him.

Summarizing some of the comments:

Upgrading to the B7500 would NOT be a good move if (1) position control is important and (2) the ability to run the mid-PTO while keeping the rear PTO stationary is important.

Apparently the B2410 and the BX2200 have all three modes of the PTO operation (mid-only, rear-only, and simulatneous mid & rear). It would appear that a used B2100 may be a good upgrade for him as well based upon the following ASSUMPTIONS:

(1) the B2400 has the same PTO arrangement as Trescrow's B2410,
(2) the B1700/B2100/B2400 series has the same PTO arrangement (it looks like this is the case, just as TresCrows described for his B2410, when looking at the PTO arrangement in the B1700/B2100/B2400 sales brochure).

Kelvin

/ Worth upgrading from 17 to 24 hp? #37  
Bird,

I have the same "L" bracket on my B2150 as well.

My older gear-drive B7100 does not have a mid-PTO, but does have a 3-speed rear-PTO. It also has some similar lockout mechanism to keep the PTO lever in either OFF or 540rpm. At least it is supposed to... I have never seen it other than a picture of it in the owner's manual.

Kelvin