Would ethanol gas do this?

/ Would ethanol gas do this? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
image-4172073428.jpg

This is my latest project. A Montgomery Ward saw I traded for a bedroom door. I think it was made by Remmington (Arms) in the 70's,

The guy I got it from only had it a couple weeks but had gotten it from an older man who said he hadn't run it in a couple decades. Supposedly it worked when he had last used it.

My friend said he tried to get it to start but only got a couple of pops out of it.
I disassembled it, blew the crud out, put a new plug in it, and it started as soon as gas got to the carb (3-4 pulls).
It smoked like a chimney, so I asked my friend what gas and oil he had put in it.
He said "I didn't, that's the gas that's been in it!"

I'm amazed.

What's the longest anyone has ever stored gas?

/ Would ethanol gas do this? #2  
I use Stihl motomix so I don't wreck my saws, blower and weed wacker.. A couple of months is about all this junk gas we have these days is good for.. The motomix isn't cheap ($60 a case of six) but I only go through a case a year so I don't mind the price.

/ Would ethanol gas do this? #3  
That IS amazing! Ethanol may last 3 months in storage. With Stabil maybe a year.

/ Would ethanol gas do this? #4  
Ethanol will definitely cause the problem you had. Pure gas can store for a long time. Use Sta-bil and it will last a year and you can just add more to keep it going.

I use nothing but pure gas in my boat and small engines. I add Stihl fuel mix and no problems even if I don't start it for a year.
Sounds like you got a good trade. Just needed a little TLC.

/ Would ethanol gas do this? #5  
This weekend i started 3 minibikes, 2 motorcycles, all ethanol gas 5 months stored, no stabil, easy start. Only thing I did before starting was lay them over to mix up the gas.

/ Would ethanol gas do this? #6  
only problem with these saws (remmington) was that they refuse to re-start after being run hard ( no spark ) ... let them cool down for 15-20 mins and they start on the first pull.

/ Would ethanol gas do this? #7  
Even ethanol free gas will varnish and gum everything up in a few years. Ethanol wreaks havoc on the fuel lines though. IF the lines arent rated for ethanol that is. Turns them to mush.