Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #91  
Hope your not in a hurry if you get it.
Ever drive a DT 466 in a loaded tandem = gutless

It’s probably set in the 275-300 hp range which is better than the single axels but it’s definitely going to be slow.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?
It’s probably set in the 275-300 hp range which is better than the single axels but it’s definitely going to be slow.
250HP

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?
Hope your not in a hurry if you get it.
Ever drive a DT 466 in a loaded tandem = gutless

I had this one @250HP
Its not a tandem, but with 10 tons on it, you knew it.
”gutless” doesnt bother me much anymore. I have my Ram if I need guts OTR.

1645287422846.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #94  
   / Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #95  
As long as the engine and transmission don't leak. Wheel seals, Etc. wouldn't concern me much, they aren't that expensive or that difficult to replace (if even needed)

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #96  
But you can always buy the new model year, before the end of the actual year.

I bought a 2010 cummins in the fall of 2009.
It’s still 6 months to the fall of 2022, but...

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #97  
   / Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #98  
Like some of you, I‘m always looking for farm equipment, machinery vehicles and trailers. Whether to buy or just learn or fun when its raining, etc.
I have various websites I peruse and stumbled across a very nice mid 90’s IH 4900 tandem axle truck. I couldnt believe how nice the paint was. No rust. Showroom conditions. Its going up for auction in March to the highest bidder, regardless of price.
I spoke to the auctioneer a bit. He bought it from a company In Arkansas. The surviving owner was closing the business and explained he bought the truck in the mid 90’s and parked it in a shed. The odometer reads 51 miles. Thats right 51 miles. No hour meter to at least help somewhat verify the odometer. He started the truck and ran it with me on the phone. Claims it runs perfectly. He said the owner did start & run the truck periodically to keep it lubed.

So it got me to thinking, if any truck was bought new, then sat for 20-25 years, it has to have some damage and it does.

I am making a list of what could be wrong with it, adding up the costs of said issues and contemplating a bid. Heres what I’ve come up with:

1. All tires have 100% tread, but are dry rotted and thats been verified.
2. Valve guide seals in engine probably brittle?
3. Gaskets dried (valve cover, oil pan, transmission main seal and……..)
4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could be had cheap enough? I would think so, but what would it cost to fix all? THAT is the question(s)…..

On edit: changed to be more precise for jstpssng:)
You don't need to worry about this truck. It will be a high bid as IH trucks are popular with street rodders. These bidders aren't afraid to take on a project and are no match for uninformed skiddish truck buyers. If you would like to see some of their creations look on Pinterest. Your only hope to buy this truck is if it's a local auction that wasn't well advertised.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #99  
You don't need to worry about this truck. It will be a high bid as IH trucks are popular with street rodders. These bidders aren't afraid to take on a project and are no match for uninformed skiddish truck buyers. If you would like to see some of their creations look on Pinterest. Your only hope to buy this truck is if it's a local auction that wasn't well advertised.

Agreed that truck will bring a more than 10 grand. And it’s worth a lot more than 10 grand. That’s practically a new truck with no def that needs a little work to be back on the road. The amount of work it needs is probably equal to the sales tax of a new truck.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #100  
I had this one @250HP
Its not a tandem, but with 10 tons on it, you knew it.
”gutless” doesnt bother me much anymore. I have my Ram if I need guts OTR.

View attachment 734191

It’s hard to find dump trucks with any power but road tractors with power are easy to come by. A cab and chassis truck with a dt466 wouldn’t be my first pick.