Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #31  
I would be tempted but I like old trucks so not the best advisor :)
I just bought a '03 Chevy 2500 with 130k miles. Got it for $11k. Been replacing little stuff like windshield washer pump, rear door handles (extended cab), AC condenser pump, Etc. Engine and Tranny were good and that's what I bought it for.....
I'm probably gonna put more into it than I thought, but I won't have monthly payments at the end.
Throw in a bid and see what happens......?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #32  
Depending where you are emission tier would be a deal breaker...

Many perfect older trucks are no longer legal in trade... might be ok for farm use but not for hire.

I passed on a very sweet deal from a retiring family excavating company...

The new tires and aluminum rims worth the price of the truck but it could no longer legally used in trade in California without repowering....

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #33  
I love Macks! Real trucks for real work.

We had a Mack dump, f700 and dump trailer, skid steer, parked on our property. Needed them all the next day, so checked them. Somebody had stole every battery and stole the keys. I got everything going overnight except skid steer. Sent a guy 1 1/2 hours away to be there when they opened to get a key. Good ole thieves.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #34  
In 2007 or 2008?? I purchased a 1999 CK3500 4 door dually with 34,xxx miles on it. I think dry seals are the downfall but when fixed you still have new truck. This truck had bad axle seals. Things are meant to be ran not just sit. However mine still sits a lot. I think it might have 101,xxx on it now. Less than 1000 miles of winter driving. The first 5000 miles may not be your friend. Bid accordingly. With low mileage like that it will be hard to compete against people with stupid money.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #35  
Take a look what new trucks are going for and that may answer your question. New equipment is great if you can use it regularly, 12 months a year. Think about the investment in planters, sprayers and combines that sit 10 months a year but tie up a huge amount of capital. I say go for it and bid on this truck.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #36  
Keep in mind that the 1990 odometer isn't an electronic one. It could easily be rolled back without anyone being aware. Even the electronic ones can be falsified if you have the skills and equipment.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #37  
I would try to buy it but suspect it will go for more than it should. Seems like it's in good enough shape since he started it and I'll bet backed it up and stepped on the brakes. Things like this can be hard to buy because too many buyers get emotional and forget the accounting aspect of things. I'd buy it.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #38  
My parents bought a new 1976 Chevy pickup in the fall of 1975. It was garage kept most of the time and only used occasionally. It would sit for months at a time. I learned to drive in it. In 2000 my dad gave it to me and I used it on and off and was mostly in my garage or barn. It had 70,000 miles and it was burning oil and blue smoke out the exhaust. We didn't have too many problems with it, rust here and there, same clutch, and I replaced the radiator before I sold it in 2016. My dad put a new carb in it in the late 90s. I wonder since it sat a lot without use, did it help wear engine parts (rust?) faster that caused it to burn oil before 50,000 miles?

I wish I had kept it, but I had no time to work on it at the time. Now my son is getting to driving age and it would have been a nice project we could have worked on and maybe kept it in the family another generation.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #39  
These trucks were popular in the 90s because you could buy them cheap. But they have problems. Dash gauges and lights lose continuity. Heater duct let’s outside air in. And the DT 466 engine is expensive to maintain. It has a super high pressure fuel pump that cause hard starting. Don’t use ether when starting in cold weather. Use a block heater.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #40  
I bought a tractor that was almost 15 years old with only 50 hours on it. After doing what I needed to do to get it running, I had a tractor with only 50 hours on it. I'm a minimalist and don't do too much work that a thing needs. If it's been parked inside and run regularly, there might not be too much that needs doing.