Would you buy an electric tractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Would you buy an electric tractor? #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
The title pretty much says it. There are a few companies out there either developing or already getting units out that are entirely electric. Like the tesla of tractors. Would you consider one? Curious to what you think the pros and cons are.

Here's one that I heard about:

Monarch Tractor

/ Would you buy an electric tractor? #2  
I'm open to options. It would greatly depend on if it would meet our needs, fit our farm, and priced for our budget. Would I want to be the first person to own one? No, I will let someone else work the bugs out.

So, yes, if everything lines up, I would consider an electric tractor. I'm sure when farmers went from horse to tractor there was some hesitation. Now, it is a none issue for many.

/ Would you buy an electric tractor? #3  
Yes, but not right now. The advances in battery technology are really amazing. In 10 or so more years, I would most likely consider having one.

/ Would you buy an electric tractor? #4  
As someone who doesn't use my tractor every day, but when I do, I need it then, probably not. There's always going to be some sort of drain on a battery, so I would probably wind up going to use it after a week of sitting and not have enough battery to do what I need. And you can't just put 5 gallons of electricity in and go on.

Also, the first time the batteries died when I'm half a mile from electricity, it'd be going on Craigslist.

/ Would you buy an electric tractor? #5  
No. There is no electricity in the barn where my tractors are stored.

/ Would you buy an electric tractor? #6  
I'd get one if performance and price were roughly in line with diesel and I needed a new tractor. And I had electricity in my barn to charge it. And it used my existing implements. (in 3 centuries we'll have tractors powered by dilithium crystals but we'll still be using 540 rpm PTOs and implement makers still won't make all their implements quick hitch compatible). And enough other people had them. Maybe because I work as a technologist, I try to avoid being on the cutting edge.

My Branson is pretty quiet but having a tractor that's even quieter would be nice. It'd also be nice to not have to worry about stopping and starting the engine often or having it idling. Wouldn't have to run into town for diesel fuel either. Great low end torque. Wouldn't need an HST to have infinite gearing.

Maybe in 5-10 years they will be there. I think there will be big farm electric tractors before electric CUTS get competitive. Here's one that's more of a CUT size: Solectrac Electric Tractors | United States

/ Would you buy an electric tractor? #7  
As someone who doesn't use my tractor every day, but when I do, I need it then, probably not. There's always going to be some sort of drain on a battery, so I would probably wind up going to use it after a week of sitting and not have enough battery to do what I need. And you can't just put 5 gallons of electricity in and go on.

You'd just keep it plugged in. There's a lot of people with electric cars in the city near me. Some of them are dumber than a box of rocks but they still manage to learn to keep their cars plugged in.

/ Would you buy an electric tractor? #8  
Like the tesla of tractors. Would you consider one? Curious to what you think the pros and cons are.

Sadly, no details on that Monarch site.

There should have been some electric tractors available by now, it seems to me.

It is an economic question, mostly, IMO. Will there be a geek tax? (Early adopters paying extra just to get one when they first come out.)

Folks paid a fortune for Teslas around here, but the real impact is when more reasonably-priced electric cars with a decent range became available. There are now numerous electric cars that go far and don't cost crazy amounts, but can they endure without govt subsidies?

As for tractors, they will not have the problem with weight, but they really need to be cost-competitive with diesels. Note that they are really more like tools than social statements. And dragging a dead electric tractor back to the barn is gonna be an issue to overcome.

Would I consider buying one? Yes, if costs were similar to diesel units. ALL costs, incl initial purchase, maintenance, fuel, electricity.

Electric ATVs came out years ago, but they are crazy-expensive, so you don't see many.

Last edited:
   / Would you buy an electric tractor? #9  
Maybe in 5-10 years they will be there. I think there will be big farm electric tractors before electric CUTS get competitive. Here's one that's more of a CUT size:

I like the 30-hp CET. The site is short on specs, however. Nothing on weight or hydraulics specs, 2 of the most important data. About $33K with loader, and 3-6hr run time. I suspect it needs a bit bigger battery, and a bit lower price.

/ Would you buy an electric tractor? #10  
You'd just keep it plugged in. There's a lot of people with electric cars in the city near me. Some of them are dumber than a box of rocks but they still manage to learn to keep their cars plugged in.
My tractor has been at my future house place for a month or so, no electricity. But a 55 gallon drum of diesel is there. Electric anything won't be feasible for rural living any time soon. I drive 100 miles a day to work and back each day, so no electric car for me anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.